Beech Bench Top And Edge Banding Of MDF Under It

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
The plan I'm working from, he cut edging strips off his Beech worktop and stuck them on the MDF under it. I'm not going to be cutting my worktop. What I'd like to know, if I get some Beech cut for the MDF edging will it match up properly with the Beech worktop? Or would it stick out like a sore thumb? Perhaps it would be better to use some complimentary species of timber that would go with the worktop and also the Redwood legs?
Cheers.
He used Oak for the side and end vice jaws, so makes sense to use Oak as the edging. Is Oak a good choice for the vice jaws?
His bench design doesn't use any jointing, mortise and tenon whatever at all. He routes a groove on the inside faces of the stretchers, drills corresponding hole in the legs. Then passes lengths of threaded rod through puts nuts and washers on ends, tightens it all up and he says makes a really solid rigid structure.

I like matching the vice jaws to the workbench, (Mine are reclaimed mahogany, that is a good match for the Luan of the top. ) Oak is as good as anything if you make the jaws properly. I faced mine with 3mm Hardboard, rough side out. But I kept a couple of dining table place mats with cork backing, for my new bench jaws. If I ever get around to it now.

The bolt together structure sounds the same as my old lathe bench, and it is a good solid method provided you use locking nuts or washers, and at least M12 thread.. Mine were 3/4 " Whitworth though! You could stick two bolts through each joint, which would mean wide timbers of course.

HTH

John

Benchwayze":1aqhv7rb said:
I like matching the vice jaws to the workbench, (Mine are reclaimed mahogany, that is a good match for the Luan of the top. ) Oak is as good as anything if you make the jaws properly. I faced mine with 3mm Hardboard, rough side out. But I kept a couple of dining table place mats with cork backing, for my new bench jaws. If I ever get around to it now.

The bolt together structure sounds the same as my old lathe bench, and it is a good solid method provided you use locking nuts or washers, and at least M12 thread.. Mine were 3/4 " Whitworth though! You could stick two bolts through each joint, which would mean wide timbers of course.

HTH

John
I've decided to use Beech for the vice faces and also for the edge banding, I ordered a couple of Beech vice tommy bars the other day, from Fine Tools Germany or that other German supplier. I've had a quick glance at your paintings very good. I'll look in more depth later. My sister paints, bit like you in a way, her dream was to go to art school but that never happened. That said she taught herself and developed her talent. If you like have a quick look, http://patsartbox.co.uk/main.php
https://www.facebook.com/Patsartbox/hom ... e_internal
Cheers,
Peter.

Back