Last toy for this year

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brubaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Have managed to squeeze in one more toy for needy kids just prior to the deadline for turning them in for distribution.
This one is a road grader with swiveling blade.

Thanks for looking.

Lee
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg
[/img]

I was wondering about the wheels too. I think the give away is the front left as it appears to be two slightly different colours. I think they have been turned as two pieces and I would guess then cut at an angle with an arbortech or some such. When glued back together you would get the V shaped treads.

Thinking about it you could just make a single cylinder, cut a spiral in it, chop it up into 8 equal pieces and glue them back together alternating each piece.

Great model though, I'm sure some kid is going to really love it.

wobblycogs, I thought that too. One spiral cut and reglued, but it doesn't work, try on a card tube. But two opposing spirals cut and re-glued.

If it was done with some hand held power device it was certainly well controlled.
xy

In the interests of science I had to perform the experiment for myself...

Step 1: Unravel a roll of toilet paper and draw some lines on it:

143025.jpg

Step 2: Take a thin parting tool and cut a slice off, flip it round and be disapointed when it doesn't work as expected.

143344.jpg

Step 3: Refuse to be beaten by unravelling another roll of toilet paper and drawing an oposite spiral.

143418.jpg

Step 4: Laugh at own stupidilty and get back to real work!

I have to agree though that those spiral grooves are cut with great accuracy. I'd love to know how it was done. The way I've seen it done is to draw parallel lines down the length of the piece and then divide those up to make squares. You then draw diagonal lines connectiong the corners of the squares to create the twist and then carve along the lines.

Okay my friends....this is how I do it. Each wheel consists of 2 blanks hence for the 4 wheels...8 blanks. I start by cutting the blanks using a router base jig to ensure precise circle cuts. I drafted on paper the position of cutting the lugs around the edge of the blanks...scanned & printed 8 copies & spray glued them to the blanks. On my bandsaw the table will tilt both left and right. With the table tilted right at 15 deg. I cut the lugs of 4 blanks then, with the table tilted left for 15 deg. I cut the lugs of the remaining 4 blanks. At this point I would mention that if your bandsaw table tilts only in one direction then leave the table level & take
a piece of lumber 1-1/2" thick x 4 or 5" wide, plot and cut a 15 deg. angle on one end leaving enough at the other end for clamping to the bandsaw table. Clamp on one side of the blade & with the wheel blank on the cut angle...saw out the lugs. When 4 are done...switch the angle block to the other side of the blade & cut the other 4 blanks. If your bandsaw tilts to the right but not the left(as some do) I would ignore tilting it at all & use the angled block for both & left cuts because the 15 deg. on the wood block may vary slightly from the 15 deg. set out on your bandsaw & cause a slight mismatch of the treads.
In any case carefully match & align the machined blanks & glue . You will now have 4 lugged wheels. After the glue has set....bore out the axle holes.
I fortunately have a old DeWalt Radial Arm Saw which has a drilling fixture for mounting on the arbor end opposite the blade end. I use this fixture for mounting the wheels & face turning the rim & tire profiles as well as for final sanding.
Kinda picky work but I enjoy the results so to me it is worth it.

Lee

Lee I enjoy the results as well, especially as you have found a problem and sorted it brilliantly. Thanks for the 'How it was done'. A great result.

xy

hi

i think you should but santa in front of your name (santa lee brubaker), that is going to make some child smile all over his face . hc :lol: :ho2

Latest posts

Back