last post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodium123

Established Member
Reaction score
HI
I have whittled down to two extractors in the same price bracket either

RECORD POWER DX5000 or Numatic NVD750
the nvd as the most powerful motors
but the dx you can use one motor at a time , which u don't get that with the nv
I don't know which would the cheapest to run, i think it would the nv
I am using really for fine dust applications
which is the quietest ?
have i overlooked something i don't know
cheers for your help

The Record Power is not portable so you have to take the work to it, and when comparing what you get with both the RP is more expensive, due to not being supplied with the small diameter hose needed for dust making machines, not much in it airflow wise, but as you must be aware neither are suitable for extracting from a planer or similar.

Mike

The Numatic will be the easiest out of the box option, and offers the flexibility of being able to use 2 different hose diameter options (100mm & 32mm).
It will also be easier to move around the workshop, if you decide to do so.
For me I would of liked to of seen Numatic fit two on/off switches to have the choice of running one or both motors as the NVD750 is a great powerful extractor but when sanding you don't need all that power.

Which is the cheapest to run?
I don't see any filter replacements for the nvd750
and the filters for the rp are £16 each
I must admit I am leaning towards the nvd

Four thoughts on your decision:

1) how much will you use it at one time? I thought one of the benefits of two switching motors is that they can be run one at a time, resulting ithe ability to use continuously through extended periods, which may not be possible with a single motor.

2) if you are using for fine dust why have you selected the RP with larger capacity, why not a model that holds less disgust but is otherwise the right spec? For example the DX4000 which gives you workshop portability and is £100 less.

3) the Numatic is quoted as being able to be fitted with a HEPA filter upgrade, I can't see this option for the RP, is the ability to improve filtration further important?

4) if after that the RP is still in the running, why have you discounted the CamVac models? I have always heard very positive reviews on them and I believe they get the same 5 year warranty from RP which is a positive and have the added option of being able to use sound recusing baffles.

Good luck with your decision.

Terry.

Edit: disc: I don't have any of these models, so this is all comment from the online resources available.

I owned a DX5000 for a year or so, great sucker, does tend to get clogged up but just needs looking after. Reason for me getting rid - The noise - the motors were just way too noisy for me. Now have a Jet with induction motor that I am very happy with,

Thanks

I have a large Numatic twin motor version, can't tell you the model as its over 20 years old, it has the twin filters red and white as the NVD, these only need cleaning occasionally, I also have a neumatic cyclone convertor on it that keeps the dust away from the filters, works very well, I have also fitted a 100mm side inlet to the bottom canister, but don't seem to ever use it since getting the chip extractor, for dust clearing I don't think there is anything to beat it, only down side on mine is its 110v so to take it anywhere means carting the transformer around as well, but this thing with one of the Hepa bags fitted does double duty as a chimney cleaning vacuum as well.

Mike

You can only use the Hepafilter bags on the standard inlet, so if machining MDF this is the where you fit the hose, any other sanding ect I fit the hose to the cyclone inlet, but this does mean the dust is not contained in a bag and will need tipping out into something for disposal. I have used this for hours on end without any cut outs or detrimental effects to the vacuum.

I Have the DX5000. It's very powerful and easily copes with my Jet JPT260 planer/thicknesser, but does tend to clog on stringy timbers where the hose meets the extractor body. But it's biggest failing is the noise – boy is it loud! It's definitely on the replacement list at some point. It's also a pain to clean out.

Simon

I also have the DX5000 which copes well with a RP PT107 P/T, must admit pain to empty and clean but recently fitted a cyclone so thats no longer a problem. As said above is noisy, but tend to wear ear defenders so not a problem.

Marty

Back