Last Goblets hopefully

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Last ones of these for a while...I think. These are walnut and stand 8 1/2" tall x 1 1/2" max dia. Thety are designed as wedding flutes with the captive rings symbolizing the unity of the participants. Comments etc all welcome

Pete

They are looking good. You seem to have perfected them.

My Daughter is getting married next year and if you don't mind I will steal the concept.

Of all the ones you made what wood has given the best finished flute. Have you sealed them in order that they can be used and if so what with and how?

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

I usually make them in a darker wood though some like pale woods as red wine will stain no matter what finish you use in my experience. The inside is coated with as many layers of melamine as I have patience to apply. I use spray now as I find it is easier to apply. The outside can be done in melamine or something like carnuba wax. I use woods like walnut, roppala lacewood is popular, chaperno, any hard wood except oak, or ones with a toxin like yew or laburnum. I do all different styles if you want to look here as well as the flutes.

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks guys, I have always had a captive ring tool Paul, i have done them with the tip of a skew but it is a lot quicker and easier with the tool.

Pet

They look really good 'Pet' ( :shock: :shock: ). Very eligant and I'll bet a real pig to get the innards just right too! What did you use to get the middle out?

As for the ring tool, I took one look at the price for the 2 needed, left and right, and made my own from an old 1 1/4" firmer edge chisel. That was about 12 years ago.
IMG_2990.jpg

I had a commision for a pair of goblets for a wedding present and when I asked if they would like the captive rings I had a VERY firm reply that the 'bride' was not the kind of woman that liked to be considered 'captive'! I was put in my place VERY firmly :oops: :oops: :oops:

I thought they were looking rounder Pete :D

That looks ideal Jon.
Does it do both sides. :?:
I also made my own when i was messing about with them from an old screwdriver,and it also worked pretty good,but always felt i was gonna get a big catch with it and haven't used it since.But i have some to do soon so might get an old chisel out and have a go at doing what you have made :D

The tool I have cuts from both sides and I was given it or I'd have made my own as well :lol: They are rounder Paul because these goblets are all going to a posh store and so I am taking extra care over them.

Pete

I sand them and then buff them if you mean the rings. Inside is sanded by wrapping abrasive around the stem, outside by hand.

Pete

I do the basic sanding before cutting it free but do the final sanding afterwards as it can get banged about abit as you finis the stem off. Polishing and biffing I do with the rest of the goblet at the end. Carefully :lol:

Pete

"but do the final sanding afterwards as it can get banged about abit as you finis the stem off"

But! It's only the inside of yer ring that gets any bashing and that ain't normally shown in polite company is it :evil: :evil:

Seriously Pete, they are really lovely!

When people ask me how the rings are formed I have a story that I can only ever get part way through before bursting out laughing! I tell them that the rings are turned seperately, soaked in blood warm water for 24 hours then very carefully manhandled to make them soft and supple. Then they are very carefully stretched over the base and that is normally where I can't keep a straight face any longer! BUT, it works every time :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hiya Pete,

In reference to your 1st image (your original post pix) I think you posted a pair of these previously without the captive rings?

I said then that I absolutely loved them and the same is true of this pair.

Having never turned a goblet I'm afraid I can't offer you any helpful advice other than to boost your ego by saying that I like these even better with the caprtive rings, very elegant indeed and a classic, fluted style, beautiful.

Cheers,

Lee.

The goblets look great Pete. You've inspired me to have a go - in 1/12 scale. I've had a look at your site. Your work is good - I like it.

Bri

Jonzjob":3p8p04aq said:
Pete, the linked ring, broken and glued? Carefully!

Spot on. The rings will always have a week part where the grain goes across the ring and it can be snapped and carefully opened then glued back and sanded down, Doesn't work so well in light woods as the join is harder to hide.

Pete

Back