Laser levels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To set the height of the laser level I use a telescopic support, fix it between floor and ceiling and use the clamp which came with the level to clamp it to the support.

one of these
A30BF2D8-6D47-4F99-89C2-4E925C8B5CA3.jpeg

One of my phones has a built in level app which is highly accurate, to make it a long level , I lay the phone on a long rigid straight edge.
My brother has that on his phone, we tested it again a laser and it was dead level.... i was quite suprised

I have got a digital inclinometer but not in calibration so how accurate is questionable, it used to be easy in my past working life because our calibration lab used to have some nice levels calibrated to national standards that we used to use for things like setting up weighing scales and I could bring mine in and compare. Also my inclinometer it is not that long, hence why I think using it with my Veritas straight edge will give a better average reading over a length.

What would be nice is a set of levels that you could swap the digital part so you get a set of levels without spending a fortune.

I have one of the small Stanley laser levels, cubix. maybe. Have found it useful. One use was for a small survey outside, had to do it as it was getting dark as cannot see the red laser in bright daylight. Picture below, it was for a shed, floor leaning against house to left.

Ground was a bit uneven. I put a small wooden shelf on a fence post to sit the level on. Then used the level to read a tape to get spot levels on the ground, house DPC etc. (similar to using a level and staff). Also marked the laser line on the fence posts. After that used a spirit level. It helped because I could tell my daughter/son in law what level the floor would be, step up in to shed, order correct number of blocks etc, before starting the work. And only moved the soil once. Also looked like I put up some profiles and traveller, probably because it was easy to do.

Blocks are on a shallow concrete base, bottom block set on mortar, top block on a couple of spots of adhesive to stop it moving about if the floor springs.
248D58C9-7731-45ED-B01E-D9B4E6A29FCD.jpeg
D00B8C86-64EC-4AD2-BEB3-FC8D289DB96B.jpeg

I now have a laser level, went for the Stabila and also a Huepar multiline laser on @MikeK 's recomendations.

Here is a question, you get a nice horizontal line all round the room because the level is self leveling, you get a vertical line up the wall across the ceiling then down the opposite wall and back across the floor but here is my problem. The lines up the walls are vertical and on opposite walls but not neccessarily square to the wall and so if you put a stud wall from one line to the other then that wall need not be square to the room so any fixes that I am overlooking or anything I have not understood here ?

I now have a laser level, went for the Stabila and also a Huepar multiline laser on @MikeK 's recomendations.

Here is a question, you get a nice horizontal line all round the room because the level is self leveling, you get a vertical line up the wall across the ceiling then down the opposite wall and back across the floor but here is my problem. The lines up the walls are vertical and on opposite walls but not neccessarily square to the wall and so if you put a stud wall from one line to the other then that wall need not be square to the room so any fixes that I am overlooking or anything I have not understood here ?
Measure out from adjacent walls and align laser to your marks. Lasers only deal in straight and level lines not squareness. If you need just lines you can, as in most lasers, switch to non levelling stationary mode. Handy for diagonals etc.

Back