Laser level recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev.k

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a laser level.

Are the cheap ones trash?

looked on screwfix but I don’t really know what features/add ons are useful.

Need it for outdoor jobs as well as indoor so I need a green laser.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I bought a Bosch. Cross line + vertical plumb bob.
Mine was a comprehensive kit with a detector for long range use and various clamps, but being red, it was great value.
It's been very useful and I'd have no hesitation in replacing it with the same thing in green of I lost it.
A reflective target plate is a must.
If you get a basic cross line type, not one that projects a line around a full 360 degrees, you need a rotating base for it.

My first job justified the purchase for me, setting out the falls for a new flat roof on the garage.
I've used it for plumbing and will use it for tiling and ceiling jobs.

I bought the Dewalt one for doing DIY, it has mostly been fine but there have been a few occasions when I have needed to use it where the daylight has been strong and a few occasions when I have needed it outside and for those jobs it was completely useless, I resorted to the reliable spirit level! I can't recommend one for you because the Dewalt is the only one I have used but If I were you I would definitely get one that can be used in bright light.

I have a cheap kit from screwfix, laser level that just projects a red dot, and a tripod with a turntable top. It is more fiddly to set up than more expensive ones I have used but certainly accurate. Cost £50 if I remember correctly. I have used it for loads of projects outside, most recently for laying out a swimming pool. The result is level within 5mm, and that error is probably more down to me than the level ! You do need a card target so you can see the dot in bright light. I just got one of the kids standing with their back to it to see the dot, then after a little of left a bit, right a bit, to mark it on the stakes I was using, which just had a bit of A4 sized cardboard taped on to see the dot in the first place.

Speaking from experience I use Leica. I have the Leica Lino L2G . It was an investment that’s already paid for itself. Like @Sideways it was a full kit with charger, glasses, and several accessories to mount the laser onto steel etc . Also added the tripod , put simply it’s a game changer - set up time is minimal and the accuracy is on point . Can be used outside. One really good point I noticed recently is if you wanted to transfer a line ( say for a picture or dado rail then you can mark your line in two rooms as the green line projects into a second room depending on where you position it . I think the cheaper ones are a lot better than they used to be but I guess it comes down to personal preferences and what jobs you plan to do ..I recall huspar having the best reviews for the cheaper units . I also have the Leica Disto 2 for measuring up ..

Leica are very good. I've an old Disto A5 distance meter made back in 2006 and it will still measure a solid 100 metres without a target plate if you have a light coloured wall or similar to aim at. The little built in optical viewfinder is a must because it will work but you'll never see the spot at that distance in daylight.
The A5 cost over £300 when I got it but you can pick them up for under £100 used. About half the price of Leica's current 100m rangefinders.
I wonder if a used laser level from a good brand is an option ?

I think to be safe you would have to factor in the cost of a calibration test and or service as unless you are buying from someone you know or a refurbished unit you won’t know it’s condition or how it’s been treated. However like most things the better quality components the better the chance it will be more robust. My Disto has a 2 meter drop range but I treat it like it’s a new born baby and handle it with the utmost care.

Edit. You will benefit from a cross line laser -vertical and /or horizontal. The one spec to pay attention to is the accuracy as over a meter or 2 no major issues but over 30. 40 or 50 meters it will have a huge effect.

Last edited:
I have a Prexiso 20m, with a cheap Bosch camera tripod, a meter spirit level, mask tape on it for different readings.
The Prexiso is midrange in price and we find it accurate.
A reader for staff will complete package.
Hope this is some guidance.

Back