Laser levels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone using laser levels for setting out or are we still using chalk lines and bubble levels like myself ? It is one of these items that comes with a lot of fanfare and advertising but it has left me on the fence. Yes I think a cross line laser would be very helpful having a horizontal level and vertical plumb but then which one, there is so much choice and varying views so who is using what if any ?

I have a bosch green laser one, it is very handy for some things.
It has a plumb function which projects a dot above and below it, this is very handy indeed for lining up things on the ceiling.
I don't get it out for everything when a simple level will do but sometimes its perfect.
I had a job once where I had to hang about 100 paintings and it was invaluable for that.
Also you can set it to angles, and line up two things even quite far apart.
It is worth getting the green one, for me much easier to see.

Ollie

I am finding the information is hit and miss and as for prices they are all over the shop. I know I want a line but I would like them around a room when needed whilst at other times a simple cross line would do.

I bought a cheap one for DIY use and actually use it a lot more than I expected. It comes in so handy for various jobs, such as recently fitting multiple blinds and curtains in our new house where I wanted the tops to all be at the same level in a kitchen diner despite minor variations in the windows. I use my Wife's camera tripod to make minor adjustments so easy when setting up. I will maybe upgrade to something a bit better now I know it is a worthy addition to the toolkit

Sean

I quite fancy a lazer level but have never had a regular need for one. Sounds a stupid question maybe, but how do you set one up, to you just put it somewhere stable and it self levels or do you level it manually and it projects a line based on that setup? Also how do you calibrate / check for accuraccy?

…put it somewhere stable and it self levels or do you level it manually
Either option. Mine has a button to turn the self-levelling off but I never use that. I basically tested it by attaching it to a tripod, pointing it at a wall, waiting for it to quickly self-level and then using a spirit level to check the accuracy. It's certainly more than good enough for my DIY use

Sean

I have one and am looking for something a bit more accurate. I have a Parkside one which I think cost me about £40 at the time. Something has happened to it and it appears to be several mm out on horizontal compared to a good quality spirit level I have (reversed both ways in case the level is wrong!).

They are usually self levelling but can be locked if you want an inclined line. As @Spectric says prices are all over the place and you pay for certain features. I use mine quite a bit with house renovation so want to spend a bit more. If you use them indoors visibility isn’t usually an issue but outdoors I hear the green lasers are better than red. also if you want a line right around the room you will want one with the spinning mirrors otherwise you get a cross in 2 or 3D. As mentioned the ability to project a dot from the ceiling to the floor, like a plumb bob is sometimes useful.

Be interested to know which ones other people have got.

I quite fancy a lazer level but have never had a regular need for one. Sounds a stupid question maybe, but how do you set one up, to you just put it somewhere stable and it self levels or do you level it manually and it projects a line based on that setup? Also how do you calibrate / check for accuraccy?
It has two modes, self leveling mode and locked mode. The locked mode is for setting out angled things like stairs etc. Mine has a mini tripod thing with it, you can magnet it onto metal surfaces ( even a drywall beading ) or hang it on a nail. I bought a tripod for it as well which I recommend.

@Spectric mine does 180 degrees so if you need all around the room just mark one side and turn it round on the tripod for the other half.

I have this one GCL 2-15 G Combi Laser | Bosch Professional I did not pay that price for it though !!

Ollie

What a timely thread. Early last month I started searching for a three-axis LASER level in anticipation of work I will be doing in my house. I bought the Huepar 903CG based on the recommendation of a friend north of me. I ordered mine from the German site and the distributor was somewhere in Europe (I think it was Poland). The total cost, including a €20 discount and free shipping, was €129, and it arrived four days later.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. Once the battery pack was charged, I used it to check the electrical distribution ducting I installed in my shop using my Stabila bubble level. I was immediately disappointed when I observed the ducting was not level and dropped about 20mm over a five meter run. I put the Stabila level back on the ducting, and it was level along the full run.

As I contemplated sending the Huepar back, I borrowed my neighbor's Stabila bubble level to double check. My Stabila was no longer accurate. I always use the bubble level with the writing facing me, and it never occurred to me to flip the level around to see if it had the same bubble location. It didn't. The Huepar was correct, as confirmed with my neighbor's level. I'll take care of the Stabila later...maybe send it swimming with the fishies if I can't exchange it or have it calibrated.

I've been using one recommended by The Restoration Couple on YT - about £25 - accurate enough for my purposes . . . I've just ordered a tripod for it from Amazon, £14

Once you have got the hang of using one, and assuming it's
one of reasonable quality, I have found them to be an absolute
game changer.

it's a subtle shift but it changes the way you think about level. you can dip a floor or ceiling to see how far out it is. I level kitchen units using a level a block of mfc with a line. especially useful on tall units. tiling it's almost essential. nailing shingles on. it allows you to sus what the problem is

This fairly recent thread covered similar territory.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/composite-decking-laser-level-lighting.128851/
I bought a very decent Bosch cross line laser kit at a heavy discount because my red is being superceded by green.
Yes green lasers are brighter but as a non professional I can manage around the limitations of the red one and I got a lot of value for the money.
There is no comparison between what I have now and the early straight line lasers I tried 20 years ago.

I bought the Huepar 903CG based on the recommendation of a friend north of me. I ordered mine from the German site and the distributor was somewhere in Europe (I think it was Poland). The total cost, including a €20 discount and free shipping, was €129, and it arrived four days later.
Yes I have been looking at this brand, both the 903CG and the 904CG and others in there range. They get very good reviews and use Osram lasers, for me this is just looking to replace my chalk lines, supplement my bubble levels and replace the water level which can actually do more than any laser level because it can do the other side of a wall for height but the laser cannot go through a wall !

It might be an age thing, much easier to have laser lines than having to go up and down ladders multiple times with a chalk line which then leaves something to brush off later.

I think for the use I now need it for there is little point in buying something from the likes of Leica or Stabila at there prices when I don't expect it top get the abuse it might once have taken.

Laser level is a no brainer. Used one this week for ensuring numerous Blum sliders are dead on accurately positioned in cabinets. Used for: setting out concrete slab levels, doing a lot of stone tiling, hanging wardrobe rails perfectly either side of a dressing room, fitting shelves, fitting conduit, oak framing posts, hanging pictures, setting out wall panelling etc

Had a red De Walt. Sold it and bought a green one.

"Had a red De Walt. Sold it and bought a green one". Interesting, I have a red one and wondered if the green thing was overhyped, plus being a little annoyed as I hadn't had mine long. Do you notice any significant improvement in visibility?
I have found it very useful for kitchen fitting ,tiling, shower screen, centring lights over islands, wardrobes, don't know how I managed before...well I do, old fashioned string and plumb bob and level.

As I contemplated sending the Huepar back, I borrowed my neighbor's Stabila bubble level to double check. My Stabila was no longer accurate. I always use the bubble level with the writing facing me, and it never occurred to me to flip the level around to see if it had the same bubble location. It didn't. The Huepar was correct, as confirmed with my neighbor's level. I'll take care of the Stabila later...maybe send it swimming with the fishies if I can't exchange it or have it calibrated.
Stabila had / has a lifetime guarantee in the States Mike, not so in the UK as I found out unfortunately as I have 3 levels all out, but I don't know the state of play in Germany

I am trying to find out how something as simple as a bubble in some liquid goes wrong, if it has not leaked fluid then it has not leaked any bubble so that only leaves the actual level which unlike wood I would assume remains level unless some force has been exerted upon it.

Latest posts

Back