Cross line laser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gradually getting through my to-do list since retiring. Now time to put the pictures back up after redecorating....two years ago. I want to get a self levelling cross line laser, which will lock, so I can get diagonal lines. Budget, perhaps up to £150. As usual a bewildering choice out there, so a good starting point is to see what others use and experiences. Thanks..

Hi, I bought a cheap one - to be honest, there are so many, and I just decided to get the cheapest one in screwfix, and a tripod from Amazon for 12. I've used it once and it seems OK - I personally don't use it enough to justify a high price tag

Hi,

I bought this one a couple of months go as I’m in the process of converting the garage into a workshop and wanted the interior cladding and conduit for the electrics to be level. Never used one before but it’s really straightforward and I can definitely recommend it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074Z52..._dp_QX3WE4ET51WH5PVKCTYN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with a magnetic base which is really strong and self levels really easily.

Cheers,
Dave

For Comparison, the one I bought (link) for £40 is accurate to 5mm/10m, while the one Dave posted above is more accurate, to 3mm/10m

I bought this one a couple of months go as I’m in the process of converting the garage into a workshop and wanted the interior cladding and conduit for the electrics to be level. Never used one before but it’s really straightforward and I can definitely recommend it.
What is the battery life like? a lot of reviews say it's very hard on batteries?

Ive got one of those, on a tripod usually, but it also holds onto steel via the magnets if needed.
The green version is easier to see but costs more
Is that one lockable? It doesn't say in the DeWalt Spec, so I suspect it isn't

As in the pendulum? No lock.....

I havent really considered it before, itd be handy for transport i guess and if you wanted to match a sloped surface. Ive only needed to do level.

I havent really considered it before, itd be handy for transport i guess and if you wanted to match a sloped surface. Ive only needed to do level.
Thanks. I need it to lock so I can get the beam at an angle for aligning pictures on the stairs.

What is the battery life like? a lot of reviews say it's very hard on batteries?
I’m still using the original set that it came with but I’ve only used it for around an hour or so in total so far so can’t really say yet I’m afraid…

I’m still using the original set that it came with but I’ve only used it for around an hour or so in total so far so can’t really say yet I’m afraid…
that's encouraging, a lot of the reviews say the batteries go flat even when the unit is turned off.......have you checked it recently? ;)

My 1st cheap laser level ended up costing me 1/2 a days labour to correct the problems caused by its inaccurate lines - had to remove half a wall of tiles and revert back to my sprit level. Have a look at Leica levels as they imo are a cut above the rest . I now have the Leica L2 g ( green) and haven’t looked back . The one in the photo is a Red Cross line laser at around £129 and it can be locked to use at any angle . Accuracy is not that important over short distances but depends on how much you intend to use it and what for .

Attachments

• 64E6786D-605A-4EA2-9B79-738C7B1EDCB9.jpeg
    64E6786D-605A-4EA2-9B79-738C7B1EDCB9.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 14
that's encouraging, a lot of the reviews say the batteries go flat even when the unit is turned off.......have you checked it recently? ;)
No but maybe I should now you’ve mentioned that? 😉 Did use it last Wednesday though and all was fine so don’t see that being a problem.

As for getting the angle going up the stairs that you’ve mentioned I did test it for the same when I first got it and once it was locked it worked a treat as it stuck to the metal plasterboard edging at the bottom of the stairs. 👍

Checking one, maybe every time you set it up, might be a good idea.
An outdoors £500 Topcon with invisible line and a receiving beeper may tell you to a tenth of a mm, but that's measuring from something rotating to maybe +/- 5mm from flat even when when within spec.

Got a Bosch one, green is MUCH easier to see. Has the handy added feature of a red spot laser that points up and down to line up things floor to ceiling.
Comes with various hanging/ mounting methods, lock or gimble mode and individual line off/on.
Eats batterys so use rechargeables.

Ollie

Back