Lapped Dovetailing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
after reading the american woodworker's article on dovetailing,
I thought I would try out their method for lapped dovetails.
instead of using a marking guide, a few simple jigs are used instead.
The first jig is a piece of the drawer side pinned to a backing board.
The second jig as a piece of the drawer side, and next to it a piece of the drawer front, so there is a step between the 2.
the third jig is shown below, a little too hard to explain without a pic.
1139769036_PICT0006.jpg

the sizes are 2" by 1 1/4" approx 14" long, with a piece of 1 1/2" by 3/8" ontop. the middle was cut on the radial arm saw, and then cleaned up with a router plane. like the router plane? it was made by my dad in his apprenticeship!! heres another couple of pics
1139771462_PICT0007.jpg

1139771501_PICT0008.jpg

the third jig made cutting the pins alot easier. as the lip created from the smaller piece on top of teh jig sits on the drawer front, and is used with the chisel against the relevant side, so that a paring cut can be taken.
below is a couple of pics of the finished item
1139771828_PICT0009.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

for anyone who is interested, i can do a full WIP set of photos to show exactly hwo all the jigs are used

Cheers,

Matt

MattMoore":ph60mfhy said:
for anyone who is interested, i can do a full WIP set of photos to show exactly hwo all the jigs are used

Well of course we are interested :^o And it will help pay for that in your face gloat. :roll: You have a router plane that your dad made, WOW. =D>

the plane is pretty special, as he was a pattern maker he made the pattern. then done the casting himself, turned the handles, machined the cutting iron etc
he gave it to me a few months ago, but this was the first time of using it
an it works flawlessly!

Matt there are few better tools than hand made inherited ones, I did not make a router plane but 20 years later I am still using the screwdrivers, vices and squares I made as an apprentice

Bean

Latest posts

Back