Labelling system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iscaboy

Reaction score
I've got a number of identical black cases holding drill bits, router bits, etc. Can anyone recommend a system - possibly computer based - to create labels to identify the contents of a case?

I'm thinking of a modern equivalent of the old hand dynotape machineI use to have years ago.

Thanks

Buy a pack of self adhesive sheet labels, load them into a printer, use a drawing package on a comp to set label size boundaries and text, away you go. Works for me, and I label everything

I've got a number of identical black cases holding drill bits, router bits, etc. Can anyone recommend a system - possibly computer based - to create labels to identify the contents of a case?

I'm thinking of a modern equivalent of the old hand dynotape machineI use to have years ago.

Thanks
This is what my better half uses for her fabric crafts as it can print on ribbon. I have purchased some black-on-white tape for it and I am allowed to borrow the printer if I ask nicely.

https://store.brother.co.uk/catalogs/brotheruk/devices/label-printer/p-touch/pt/pth200?sc_src=corp

Available from many online stores.

I've found that self-adhesive labels tend to peel off the black plastic, especially as so many cases have a textured finish, and I suspect that there may be some sort of release compound from the moulding process. I've resorted to one of the white correction pens and my Best Handwriting, and it works very well for me. It's worth practising on scrap before doing the final inscription!

Les

I bought the same Dymo label printer that Sachakins linked but second hand for that very purpose. No PC required, print labels as I need them, and much neater than my scruffy handwriting.

I have a dymo but use it just for small boxes, for too cases / systainers I stick on a strip of grey gaffa tape and use a black marker. Might not be sophisticated but it works and lasts a lo......ng time

I too use the electric Brother, bought in Aldi when they had a special offer. About 25-30 quid equivalent if I remember. Wide range of tapes, etc, including a "very sticky tape" which sticks well to those blow-moulded cases. Just give a little thought to label placement when sticking onto cases - try to avoid an area where the square ends of the tape are likely to get rubbed regularly.

I invested in one of these - it was on special offer at the time and used it to print onto heatshrink cable for labelling electrical cables and the like. It is very good and even aftermarket, cheaper non-Brother consumables work really well

As others have said, there is a modern equivalent to the old Dymo embossing machines.
These print using a thermal process, directly onto coloured tapes.
They look a lot better than the old labels and can be set to print different styles, sizes, on one or two lines, etc

I used my Brother printer to produce labels for the cleats serving various lumps of rope on my friend's 36ft yacht. They stuck like 'STAAB' and are still in in position over 8 years later with no degradation of either printing or adhesion despite being exposed to the elements.

Another vote for Brother, works well, I use about 1% of the fancy functions on it. Wide range of tapes, if that's useful.

I also keep a set of sharpies and Eddings paint pens around for quicker labelling. And chalk pens for temporary marking, very handy.

(I'm intrigued by AES's mention of "very sticky tape" for the tricky embossed cases, that sounds very clever; perhaps could do something similar using some sticky flashing tape as a "primer" underneath normal tape).

I have the brother pte 300vp too and love it. Very often heavily discounted at screwfix.
Of those using the aftermarket tze tape knock offs, any recommends for those with good adhesion? I’ve had mixed experience.

I can engrave like this . Put a list on the forum of what you req. and I'll see what I can do. All material has been used as you see on the last engraving but the back is clear. No payment needed
Alan.
20240412_144740.jpg

Latest posts

Back