What saw is this from...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought another old Startrite table saw about 6 weeks ago for refurbishment and in the box of bits that came with the saw was this blade guard & riving knife.
Its definitely not an original part from the saw I bought as it's the wrong shape and far bigger than would have been fitted to the saw originally + the fact that the riving knife wont fit on the saw as its shape and pattern are not compatible.

Anyone recognise it and know which saw it may possibly have come from?
The guard is cast alloy and its overall size is about 425mm long x 65mm high x 40mm thick.

I'm guessing that it's designed to fit on a saw with at least a 300mm dia blade due to its size and the arc of the curve in the riving knife....?!?
I also think it had some sort of hold down device/ featherboard mounted to the central black bracket , as the bracket is quite springy.

20231003_131643.jpg
20231003_131715.jpg
20231003_131747.jpg

looks lsomething like those on wadkin sp /cp range, pos ags. Had one on a bgp 12

I think you've nailed it Housey....👍

I've just looked at some pictures of Wadkin saw blade guard's & riving knives and it's almost an exact match, it even has " 10 & 12 AGS " printed in really small letters on the bottom of the blade dimensions label on the side.

I wonder whether the central black bracket and the curved cutouts were a modification someone added sometime later in its life...?

I think you've nailed it Housey....👍

I've just looked at some pictures of Wadkin saw blade guard's & riving knives and it's almost an exact match, it even has " 10 & 12 AGS " printed in really small letters on the bottom of the blade dimensions label on the side.

I wonder whether the central black bracket and the curved cutouts were a modification someone added sometime later in its life...?
felt sure a wobble saw could be fitted, wonder if that bracket facilitated a pressure pad or bearing between directly over cutting area? Good mod for production runs.

might be a modification, something to hold workpiece down from vibration! reverse image it on google

I just tried that, but all the images that come up appear to be of a similar looking but shorter version and without the central cutout and hold down bracket. Mine is long at 425mm and the others all look to be about 100mm shorter than this....

Do both the AGS10 and AGS12 take a 300mm dia sawblade...?

felt sure a wobble saw could be fitted, wonder if that bracket facilitated a pressure pad or bearing between directly over cutting area? Good mod for production runs.

I have to say, looking at that bracket and the way it's been mounted, ...it does look fairly original.

thats what i thought. Never seen one like it before so i reckon a modification by end user and a nice job with some thought. Also I can just make out the tell tale marks in ali which would not be there is cast at time, same marks left when I tried cutting cast ali with dedicated tool and router! Clearly something has been bolted through holding a pressure pad centrally above blade and down. Thoughts going back to the wobble saw and cutting of stopped plough grooves or tenons, bare faced and normal, which need to be a constant size in depth. Again a very nice mod and i would not go to all that trouble with spring metal for a one off job! I did modify my own guards for certain production runs, when I had my own joinery shop before the days of tough rules, but never as elaborate as this. Good find, are you keeping it? Might command good money?

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Housey...👍

I think it's highly likely that I'll be trying to find it a new home/owner, as its little use to me.
I imagine some Wadkin saw owner would be pleased to have it and it looks like it may help me to recoup some of my outlay on the Startrite saw I bought as i need to get a few parts for it.

Interesting, the yellow guard cover looks to have been modified but is very similar - without these modifications- to the guard that I have on my Startrite. The two elements that are the same are the elongated slot for the bolt and the position of the small aluminium plate with the size of the sawblade written on it. In my case similar graphics and rivet positions, except mine shows a minimum blade size of 210.
Mine has been modified also to take an extraction hose on the top

Interesting, the yellow guard cover looks to have been modified but is very similar - without these modifications- to the guard that I have on my Startrite. The two elements that are the same are the elongated slot for the bolt and the position of the small aluminium plate with the size of the sawblade written on it. In my case similar graphics and rivet positions, except mine shows a minimum blade size of 210.
Mine has been modified also to take an extraction hose on the top
I'm now certain Niall, that the guard is for a Wadkin saw having looked at some very similar pictures online and having found the detail on that little blade diameter label.

Having worked on and refurbished quite a few Startrite saws in my time, the only similarity I can see is the Yellow colour.
Do you have a picture of your blade guard...?

HI Distinterior.

A picture paints a thousand words Putting that rivet in the middle of the blade graphic seems to be a nice touch. Of course mine could be a Wadkin - I have no way of knowing otherwise.:giggle: Niall
IMG_4164_1EN.jpg

.......That is indeed originally off a Wadkin saw...👍 Not a Startrite.

If you look really closely in the bottom right hand corner of that label, you can just make out the letters ...."14 AGS"

.......That is indeed originally off a Wadkin saw...👍 Not a Startrite.

If you look really closely in the bottom right hand corner of that label, you can just make out the letters ...."14 AGS"
Well I'll be ................ ! You learn something every day :unsure:

Thanks everyone for your input, especially Housey...👍

A couple of additional questions if I may,......

My limited understanding of Wadkin riving knives is, there are two different types?
Do they vary dependant upon the age of the saw...?
I'm assuming that the guard and knife that I have are from a later model,....perhaps a Wadkin Bursgreen model?
If so, what era/ year would this be from?

Can someone possibly clarify for me, so I can be certain of any information before i put the item up for sale?

Many Thanks, Tim.

Back