Labelling system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for Brother, works well, I use about 1% of the fancy functions on it. Wide range of tapes, if that's useful.

I also keep a set of sharpies and Eddings paint pens around for quicker labelling. And chalk pens for temporary marking, very handy.

(I'm intrigued by AES's mention of "very sticky tape" for the tricky embossed cases, that sounds very clever; perhaps could do something similar using some sticky flashing tape as a "primer" underneath normal tape).

Just for info, the tape I referred to is one of Brother's own, which like the machine itself, appear from time to time at my local Aldi. The tape I'm talking of is called "STRONG ADHESIVE" and is also marked "TZe tape". The one I use is white (my printer prints black only AFAIK!) and is 12 mm wide. At "normal" size fonts you can just get a double line onto that tape. My printer is actually called "P-touch D200" and is I suspect, a bit simpler than some of the other printers shown in this thread. But for me it does the job. It uses 6 x AAA cells (1.5V), or a mains power supply (included with the printer at no extra price).

And also +1 for the above - I too have a couple of fine nib "paint pens" which I use from time to time (instead of the tape) but my hands are not so steady any more (I am NOT old, just not so young as I used to be)! :(

HTH

Last edited:
I’ve used the Brother type systems which are really goo, there is occasionally plastic surface they don’t stick well to in which case I use
https://uk.onlinelabels.com/products/eu30086gl
These labels and a computer printer, they are specifically designed for “low energy plastics” which are the ones that don’t seem to let things stick to them. I use them with a laser but I think there’s an inkjet version too

do these have long shelf life, 12month++ before dying up

Don't know what brand mine are - mine are "paint pens" NOT the usual "fibre tip markers". Bought quite cheaply (a couple of quid each - equivalent) in Aldi/Lidl and from the odd aeromodelling & plastic model kits shop. "Tamiya" (well know plastic models maker) do them too, and I have a couple, but they're more expensive than the above cheapos and don't seem to be any better/worse.

Those paint pens of mine - various colours - are are all "several+" years old and all work fine after a quick shake (there's a small "ball" inside, a bit like paint & varnish rattle cans), plus perhaps a quick prod with the fibre tip onto a piece of tissue, scrap wood, etc..

HTH

Don't know what brand mine are - mine are "paint pens" NOT the usual "fibre tip markers". Bought quite cheaply (a couple of quid each - equivalent) in Aldi/Lidl and from the odd aeromodelling & plastic model kits shop. "Tamiya" (well know plastic models maker) do them too, and I have a couple, but they're more expensive than the above cheapos and don't seem to be any better/worse.

Those paint pens of mine - various colours - are are all "several+" years old and all work fine after a quick shake (there's a small "ball" inside, a bit like paint & varnish rattle cans), plus perhaps a quick prod with the fibre tip onto a piece of tissue, scrap wood, etc..

HTH
Thanks AES...hopefully someone may answer who can tell us of the UK name and supplier.

HTH
Probably Posca pens.

do these have long shelf life, 12month++ before dying up
Mine is several years old and still going strong. The only advice I would give is to store it flat or with the tip pointing down, I found if stored with the tip upright the tip will dry out but is easily revived by inverting it for a little while. I do work out of a garage attached to the house so unable to comment on whether freezing temperatures would be an issue. All sharpies are alcohol based so even if they do dry out a couple of drops of IPA on the tip should bring them back to life.

Back