Kity woodworking machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmur

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have never used a forum before but I feel that now might be a good time to start. I am considering investing in a multipurpose woodworking machine and I have seen the Kity brand. Is there anyone out there that could advise me if they are a good bet or is there a superior make around the same price or poss cheaper? I like to make the odd piece of furniture and have struggled so far with an old saw table and a hammer and chisel to cut the mortises. I see that the Kity comes with an optional mortiser and again would appreciate some advice as to the quality and value for money.
Thank you for reading this.
Peter

There is not much cheaper about and what there is is not much good.

I've had a Bestcombi2000 for about 10 years, gets used a lot as it has to earn me a living not just for hobby use. Its a very capable machine for its size and price, have a look at a couple of my albums, all done with the Kity and a few other tools.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v156/ ... Furniture/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v156/ ... Furniture/

Before that I had a K5 machine that had the Morticer but I would say you are better off spending your money on either a chisel morticer or just using a router and or chisels.

Jason

Hi there,
Do you mean that a morticing attachment to the Kity is not as good as a bench morticer?Thanks for the advice. Nice looking stuff on your site by the way.
Peter

Yes. The slot morticer does have its uses and is well made but unless it was being sold as a good package deal you would be better off saving the money. Then if you find the need for mortices get a chisel morticer or just use your router.

J

Its basically consists of a rotating cutter that can both plunge cut and also cut on its side. There is also a table that the work mounts onto and a series of levers allow you to move the work in a controlled manner and advance it onto the cutter, in other words you can set the table height so the slot is central on the work and stopps allow you to preset the length and depth of the slot.

You can either cut a mortice in one part and then use other methods to make a tennon (does really need the corners rounding off) or cut a matching slot in both parts and join with a loose tongue, think of it liek a Festool Domino but bigger.

Watch the video at the bottom of this page and about 5mins into this video which also shows it being used to drill dowel holes.

J

Spammer Richard, now deceased.

Latest posts

Back