Kity 419 and a long shot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So got myself a Kity 419 :D .

Saw.JPG

It's defiantly lost its showroom shine but is easily good enough for my needs and for the most part is in good condition with a few exceptions. As you may have noticed its missing its riving knife and crown guard. The adjustment wheel has also had its teeth chewed up (seems a common fault) and the mitre fence is missing. Even with all this I got it for what I feel was a very good price so defiantly no complains.

I've been in contact with NMA (Thanks to the forum and it's search function) who can supply the wheel but not the knife, cover or mitre fence. There is a site I've found in France that say then have them but at around £120 I though I'd see if you lovely people have any pearls of wisdom before I splash the cash.

With the crown guard I can DIY something from what seems like many available plans and the mitre fence I may have to cobble together. I will probably buy the wheel from NMA as there quite close to me and the price seemed fair.

I'm mostly concerned about the riving knife if I'm honest. My metalworking skills ain't great and without a template for the knife I'm not even sure where to start. I'm sure it'd be a minor miracle but if anyone reading this happens to have one (or any of the other parts for that matter) they don't need anymore I'd be happy to discuss cost with them however if not I'm all ears for cunning suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.

DTB.

Attachments

• Saw.JPG
    Saw.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 511
have a look at spares for the Axminster ts200. It is a clone of the 419, so the bits may well be interchangeable- certainly the mitre gauge is.

The stock mitre gauge is not very good- I wouldn't pay much for it, although off the shelf, there aren't many other options. things like the incra won't fit without remaking the bar.

Thanks for the shout on the ts200 riving knife. I will ring Axminster tomorrow.

I've heard the mitre fence isn't up to much cop which is why I'm not keen on spending a load and may look for a different solution. As you mentioned I may try and cannibalise a different fence and try and make a new bar.

That resource page is very handy, I'll need to post my thanks over there, I can imagine doing a lot the things mentioned. Just need to get some space back in the garage (just about to redo bathroom and having a full suite in the garage isn't helping lol) before I can try and make a nice cart for it. Got to love a project.

Ta.

depending on what you want to do with the mitre gauge, I think that I would make a sled- you will probably only want to cut 90 degree and 45 degree angles anyway. plenty of youtube videos on crosscut sleds...

A sled is defiantly on the cards and will probably do for 90% of the work I want to do.

Again many thanks for the Axminster idea. I've contacted them and for the crown guard, riving knife and spacer kit it was around £24 including delivery. Obviously I won't know how much fettling it will take or if it's even close but at that price it seems silly not to give it a try.

Now just need to decide if I'll buy the new hand wheel (very tempted) or try and fix what I have.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Sorry: only just spotted this.

First off, you need to be careful as there are two (or even three!) versions of the TS200, and at least two of the Kity 419. The old Kity is similar to the oldest TS200, but there are BIG differences with the current TS200 design (to the extent that the present TS200 is probably the better saw).

But I digress: you need to make sure you are buying parts intended for the older (i.e. the original) TS 200. For that, the riving knife, crown guard and many other bits are interchangeable with those on the Kity - almost certainly from the same factory!

But the throat plate, for example, has NEVER been the same on the two machines, as the Kity's table is subtly different: the trunnion mountings are spaced closer together on the Kity, and the Kity uses thicker bar in the trunnion pivots. So a lot of the trunnion mechanics are NOT interchangeable, generally-speaking. FWIW, the Kity mechanics are stronger (using thicker steel plate, etc), although I really dislike the plastic gear arrangement for tilting the blade (your mileage, etc). Both machines have strengths and weaknesses.

If the parts you have ordered don't fit the Kity, you may need to talk nicely to Axminster, to make sure you are asking for the correct things. Obviously, they are not intending their spares to fit Kity machines, so you are, to an extent, taking advantage of their excellent customer service. They probably don't mind, as long as you know (and ask for) exactly what you need.

If you want genuine Kity parts, you need to speak to NMA, the UK distributors, but I have found some of their parts to be very expensive (for example that plastic handwheel that does rise+fall and tilt - it's ALMOST the same as Axminster ones, but frustratingly not identical enough!).

Axminster usually list all the spare parts in their manuals, so they might mail you a PDF of the TS200 manual. I'm not sure if I've ever had one, otherwise I'd dig mine out to find you the part numbers.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but as happens so often, the devil is in the detail, to an extent.

E.

(who still has an old TS 200 and used to own both saws together - don't ask why!).

Thanks for the advice and the read. Interesting to hear the differences between the machines. If I was buying new I would have probably gone with the Axminster TS200-2 but budget at the moment won't allow.

I totally agree with you on the plastic wheel. I did wonder if it was made that way so the metal teeth on the plate don't break (maybe seem as a sacrificial bit) but imagine it was more likely just cost.

I have contacted NMA but they only seem to be able to supply the hand wheel. I gave them part numbers for the riving knife and guard but they say they can't get them. I suppose the machine hasn't been in production for a very long time.

Also, thanks for the info on the versions. I've already ordered the bits and to be honest didn't specify the version. The email I got says its for the TS200 and not the TS200-2 so hopefully I'm in look. The guy was very helpful and seemed to know what he was going on about. As said, at the price even if it needs modification its probably worth it.

The versions of the Axminster saw I'm aware of are the white painted TS200, red painted TS200 and the current TS200-2 although I might be missing some.

Nope, I think that's the lot :) The first one (white/grey). has the most similar parts to your Kity, I think.

I know you don't have it, but many parts of the sliding carriage system are similar too. The rubber tyres on the rollers split on the Kity I had, but I bought a replacement set of wheels/tyres intended for the TS 200 equivalent, and those seem to fit fine. I did have it fitted, but it really added to the space the thing needs, and I now have a rail saw. I'm not sure if it will fit to the TS 200 or not.

I used the original mitre fence slide from my 419 and drilled and tapped it to bolt the axi UJK mitre fence to. No filing of parts, totally reversible (apart from 2 small threaded holes) If the ts200 slide fits your table its an option?

DTB1985":2g15vyxa said:
I totally agree with you on the plastic wheel. I did wonder if it was made that way so the metal teeth on the plate don't break (maybe seem as a sacrificial bit) but imagine it was more likely just cost.

I have contacted NMA but they only seem to be able to supply the hand wheel. I gave them part numbers for the riving knife and guard but they say they can't get them. I suppose the machine hasn't been in production for a very long time.

As a matter of interest to a Bestcombi 2000 oner how much is the wheel?

Pete

Just to confirm I was after a hand wheel for the Kity 419 but guessing you know they have the same handle.

The part number I gave was KPD50458501 and for the Scheppach Precisa 2.0 (as there apparently the same part): 330 0655 054.

Price was £35.28 and £4.75 P&P.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Its a hand-wheel with teeth on, you push it in to adjust the angle of the blade.
I remember some one doing a mod with a separate wheel for angle adjustment.
I might end up doing that if mine fails.

Pete

As special as a bit of moulded plastic can be!

Pete

It was me looking at a mod - handwheels on concentric shafts would be fine (the cogged one doesn't have to latch or anything as the tilt has a separate clamp). But I couldn't find anyone to make the part and passed it on to Rafezetter before I got any further with it. This was the idea:
wheel.jpg

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 357
I am sure it had another hand wheel on the side to adjust the angle.

Some threaded rod locknuts and a linkage should be all you need.

Pete

Back