Kitchen Cabinet router set and questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Looking to make up a few kitchen doors.
Was thinking of using oak or beech or?
I'm thinking the outer parts of the doors will be say 19mm thick and the centre panel maybe 6mm? is that pretty standard sizes?
Can anyone recommend a good quality router set for the rails/stiles... looking to do the same kind of style as the doors in this pic:

WZGmJkL.jpg

Any other things to consider/tips? wood movement etc

Thanks James

edit, these ones look ok ? http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-st ... ter-shaker

I have, but haven't yet used,this Axminster set:
951288_xl.jpg
(sorry the picture is huge!)

Steve Maskery advised me that this design is a really good idea: If you set it up properly, with packing MDF on the table underneath the stock for the rail end (the scribe), you can leave the table set to cut either rail or style again quickly if you make a mistake and need to make new pieces.

For someone like me, who makes frequent poultry-ups, it seems a really good idea. Wealden have similar sets, too.

The bevel, incidentally isn't just for show - it's to avoid the bottom rail becoming a dust trap at the back by the panel. If you're using just a T+G set, you could just bevel the bottom rail as a separate operation. I believe original shaker doors just have the bottom rail done that way. But Axminster evidently think it looks nicer with a bevel all round and I tend to agree.

E.

Jmac80":20na5p7c said:
I'm thinking the outer parts of the doors will be say 19mm thick

If you can, make them a bit thicker. 22mm looks better, but it is a challenge to get 22mm out of ex-1" timber, I admit. You have to cut the elements just a little over-size before you plane and thickness, to do that.
If you are using MDF to paint, then 22mm is definitely the way to go.

S

Latest posts

Back