Kirschen carving gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at these too - no idea if they are good or not. Total novice in the carving world.

Also looking at Dastra - Mary May used to recommend these, not sure if she still does. Was about to order a couple and noticed they are closed until after new year.

these are the same as hirsch, two cherries, right? passable.

I had a set of their chisels and I don't think they met their hardness spec. There was a large test of chisels on the au forum last year, and they again came up short of their hardness mark there, too.

Pfeil carving tools are nice. Stubai that I've used are decent, too. Lots else that's out there that's a little less cost or bigger in bulk is kind of bulky and crude compared to older tools.

I have a Two cherries #7 Straight Gouge - 35mm/1 3/8". It has been absolutely wonderful. It sharpens well and holds an edge.
Don't discount some old used chisels. If they have material left in them they are great chisels. I have an old marples which still shows its quality. The old Stanley 5001 with a plastic (and I hate plastic, try to avoid if I can, but these I make an exception for) handles are a great set of chisels IMO.

I recently returned a Kirschen gouge - didn't like the handle and they felt/looked quite bulky and less refined. It cut well enough but I knew I would end up replacing it.

All of my carving gouges are Ashley Iles which I much prefer, plus their after sales service is very good (had a handle replaced last year on a 7yr old chisel at no charge after it cracked) - prices are fairly similar to the Kirschen, made in the UK if that matters to you.

of the brands mentioned i like stubbing but henry taylors are closest to vintage but a little soft. vintage tools are pretty much unbeatable for delicacy and edge quality. a German carving school used to sell stubbing quite cheap.

Back