Keeping Cast Iron rust free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi There

I am just getting my first Cast Iron Table saw set up and was wondering how to take care of it to stop it rusting in my unheated garage. I have heard of people using a wax to help smooth the sawing process, can this help prevent rust as well?

cutting42":64os0g1u said:
Hi There

I am just getting my first Cast Iron Table saw set up and was wondering how to take care of it to stop it rusting in my unheated garage. I have heard of people using a wax to help smooth the sawing process, can this help prevent rust as well?

I personally use Liberon Lubricating Wax, On machinery, planes chisels etc etc. There are several threads on this subject and quite a few different answers.

I have just started to use Lubruicating wax seems to do what it say's on the tin!

One word of warning; don't do as I did and leave a lump of oak on your cast iron table before it is coated as I got an over night black stain and rust circle!!!!

Dicky Mint

I'm another satisfied Liberon Lubo user. used it for 10 years or so now. Good stuff

Scrit

Here's another one. I always use the Liberon. In fact i put it on all my machines before i went to the US, and when i got back 18 months later there was no sign of the dreaded rust.

Cheers

Mike

Hi All

:D :D :D Are you sure about this Liberon stuff then :D :D :D

8 replys in complete agreement with each other I am impressed, Liberon on order methinks. Many thanks as always to you all.

O.k.-just to be the exception...... :lol:
I use Briwax on mine (or whatever paste wax I have in the shop) Works fine.
I also have applied a resin base PTFE spray to my table saw top-no rust since then (about 6 months ago!!!) and still slick. 8)
Cheers
Philly :D

One small word of warning to all that use sprays
Dont use silicon sprays as they can mess with your finishs ( as in stopping finishs from going on propely :)
I am glad of this thread as my next saw will have a cast iron too

. . . and a further exception, it's rustins liquid wax for me. Whatever you use don't forget to re-apply on a regular basis.

Sawdust Producer":2aa00v1x said:
Tell me, do you buff the Liberon Lubricating Wax when dry or just let it sit there ?
I apply it in a buffing kind of way and then leave it. I figure what's the point of wiping it off?

Dave, old t-shirts are for cleaning old tools, silly. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I leave it too. Part laziness, part 'cos it doesn't say otherwise on the tin. :wink:

Gareth - As others have said, this has been discussed on several threads & if you go to the FWW forum there's loads more :) The various types of lubricating wax are usually good. What someone on FWW pointed out is that the rust usually forms by 'condensation' (i.e. water out of the air settles on cast iron table) Why especially on cast iron :?: Answer, because it is usually a large lump of metal which has gotten 'colder' than the surrounding air. So, if you can heat the monster, even a little bit, the moisture in the air will not condense, hence no rust, and no need to buy gallons of Liberons excellant lubricating wax.

Of course it's easier said than done, and I believe the wax helps with the sliding of workpieces across the table as well.

I have been contemplating having a 40 watt light bulb under the table & connected via a little electronic gizzmo which would switch on when the table and the air were at the wrong temperatures (i.e. Table colder than air)

Don't know if it's ever been done but interesting little project if I ever get 'round tuit' :wink:

Back