Kapex Information

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randgbruce

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of buying a kapex 120 mitre saw, Does anybody know if
you can cut a 30 degree bevel on a 4" post to give you a pyramid top.
Thanks for
Looking (homer) (hammer)

I was looking at kapex data sheet few days ago and it had only like ~90mm cutting depth at 90degrees?
so at 30 it should be even less , that machine costs near Grand and it can't even do 4inch cut..... :evil:

I'm sure it can , let me check mine and get back to you.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I just had a look at mine as well,......it certainly will cut a 100mm post.

It will also cut a 30 degree angle on the top of a post to form a pyramid, either in Miter mode or at a 30 degree Bevel.

I don't know what spec SiteFive has been looking at....?????!!!!!

well I don't know either than... whats the max depth it can cut?

edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Festool-Slidi ... 48431f46a6
It can do 88mm x 305mm in regular mode,
However seems like it has some special mode which can do : Special cutting depth 90°/90° 60 x 120 mm
So you can't cut 4x4 in 1 go for sure, maybe in 2 cuts using its ''special'' mode or something like that?

Still charging almost 1k for a machine that can only cut 88mm is ridiculous

sitefive":136vjgoi said:
However seems like it has some special mode which can do : Special cutting depth 90°/90° 60 x 120 mm
So you can't cut 4x4 in 1 go for sure, maybe in 2 cuts using its ''special'' mode or something like that?

Pretty sure you're quoting specs for the Kapex 88 there, not the Kapex 120.

Pete

Thanks for all your replies, will order one from axminster at £825 .
My radial arm saw is past its best.
Cheers

petermillard":2urwapih said:
sitefive":2urwapih said:

Pretty sure you're quoting specs for the Kapex 88 there, not the Kapex 120.

Pete

I think the clue is the number after the word Kapex

88......88mm cut
120........you can see where I'm going with this ;-)

sitefive":2qmdtwx8 said:
nop you are wrong! You wont be able to cut 4x4 post with it in 1 go , it can cut over 10cm thick IF its thin material such as floorboard.
You seem determined to argue 'spec sheet stats' with people who own this saw and have made these cuts. Yes, the spec says 120mm max cut on thinner material e.g. skirting, but the limiting factor with thicker stock is really the boss securing the blade; there's a little over 100mm of blade available, so in practice you'd simply put in a false fence in to bring the material away from the back of the blade, and slide the saw through the cut. Simples.

Check the specs here..It has the 260mm blade, the only saws which I have seen that can cut over 10cm in 1 go is the ones coming with 305mm blades.
Yes, the Kapex was widely touted as a 10" saw with the capabilities of a 12" - stretching things a little, perhaps, but I don't know anyone who's bought one and regretted it. I don't.

And getting back to the OP's question, a 30mm bevel to the centre of a 100mm post is easily done on a Kapex.

HTH Pete

If there's just over 100mm of blade clear of the boss why do they quote the maximum cutting depth as 88mm?

woodpig":2ppkkanr said:
If there's just over 100mm of blade clear of the boss why do they quote the maximum cutting depth as 88mm?
Because that's the maximum depth of cut using the normal fence. At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs....

Kapex.png

The fence and base is in green, the blade blue, the material brown-ish. Over-emphasised to make the point, obviously, but in the left-hand image you can see the blade has to have an amount of 'wasted' depth, being circular and all, to cut all the way through. On the right-hand image the false fence is pink-ish, and this pushes the material further into the blade, allowing for a deeper cut - though clearly one that needs the slide of the saw.

HTH Pete

Attachments

• Kapex.png
    Kapex.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 404
Really good saw if you are cutting less than 90mm square but if you are cutting anything above on a regular basis I would not recommend the Kapex 120. I had one for 3 years and had some very scary moments with it even more so

than with my radial arm saw. It is a great saw for what I think it is intended for (Kitchen fitting and the like) I don't really think it is in any way suitable for larger timber on a regular basis. I am not anti Festool by the way has I have 2 Dominoes, 2 circular saws, 1 jigsaw, 1 drill, 4 sanders and 1 router

Back