Joints- show off!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most impressive I didn’t think that was going to go together, I was more than a little bit horrified when he was using that bow saw with his other hand underneath it, speaking here from personal experience! Ian

I love videos like this, proper skills, shows you don't need Lie Nielsen chisels etc.

I couldn't get my head around the joint at the start, looked like it wouldn't work.

I have tried something similar a couple of times. Both times I failed to get a good fit on all 4 sides and it only needs one gap on one side to spoil the illusion. Both of my attempts ended up in the firewood pile. I will have another go sometime. It would be good to get it right.

Anyone tried a Japanese sunrise dovetail ?
I tried one recently. Another failure. My problem was in the layout rather than the execution. I cut the joint quite neatly but it just didn't go together.

That would be a complete bummer. To have spent ages paring down, getting all the fans and in the end it doesn't fit. How long did it take you ?.

Anyone tried a Japanese sunrise dovetail ?. I keep looking at them but... Will get around to it sometime i'm sure.
Here's one version of it used in a couple of pieces of furniture, although I'd only ever known it as a double twisted dovetail. That was the case until more recently I became aware there was a Japanese name out there - no idea what though, and at some point I then heard it described as you called it, i.e., a Japanese sunrise dovetail.

Here's a link to a page with another very quickly executed example where, at the top of that page, is another link to a page that describes execution of this version or style, i.e., quite chunky and robust. In reality once you've mastered the general technique you can play around with variations of the layout to make the interlocking fingers more acutely angled and fragile which demands greater care during layout, execution and gentleness during assembly. Slainte.

1612192246799.png

1612192264527.png

1612192348095.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back