Jointer or/and planer/thicknesser? Confused!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never used either of these machines but intend setting up a workshop and would need to be able to machine hardwoods down to size.

Can someone please explain the difference or limitations of these machines.

Obviously the jointer won't do thicknessing but will a planer/thicknesser do the same as a jointer?

Maybe a stupid question but then again is a question ever?

Gaz

Gaz
No, there are no stupid questions! :D
First up - the names. The Yanks call 'em Jointers, we call them Surface Planers. This machine is for flattening stock and then planing an edge square to it.
Thickness planers - this machine makes one surface parallel to another.
So, flatten a face on the jointer then place this face down on the thicknesser table and run it through the thicknesser. Voila, a flat piece of timber thicknessed to the dimension you require.
You need both machines because the thicknesser will not make timber flat. It just reproduces the curve on the other face of the timber.

Now to planer/thicknessers.....
These are a combination machine that has a jointer and a thicknesser in one machine. Some Folk's prefer a two in one machine, others prefer them separate. It all depends on how much space you have and personal preference.
I hope this has helped,
Philly :D

Just to add to Philly's clear explanation - one advantage of P/T'ers is they come as standard with (at least) 10" wide beds (even the cheap ones). You have to pay a lot of money for even an 8" planer.
Cheers
Gidon

Cheers,

I kinda figured that the Jointer was an Americanism but wasn't sure.

Being that my eventual workshop will be a single garage, a planer/thicknesser will probably be the way to go.

Gaz

Back