Jointer completed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it has taken about 2 1/2 weekends to build this 30" jointer, but it is finally complete and I am very happy with it. I cannot believe that a plane this length can be so comfortable to use (note that a HNT Gordon Trying Plane is 17", a Stanley #7 is 22" and a Stanley #8 is 24" long). It turned out to be relatively light for laminated/solid Jarrah, just 2.25Kg (a tad under 5 lbs).

JFinal1.jpg

JFinal2.jpg

The iron is a 3/16" Hock that I infilled the slot with brass so that I could use it as a single iron. The bed is 60 degrees. The lever cap is brass, nearly the last of the unusually pink stock I have. This is extremely hard metal. It is polished to direct shavings out of the mouth. The lever cap screw is capped with brass to match. I shaped the side screws out of brass bar.

JLevercapandscrew1.jpg

The razee construction was inspired by some of Steve Knight's work, but overall I see the dominant influence of Terry Gordon.

Jrazeecutout1.jpg

I often wondered what Terry's (HNT Gordon) planes would be like with a tote, so I added one.

JTote1.jpg

The mouth has a brass wear plate. It (the mouth) is very tight at present. I thought I would play with it like this first before opening it wider (as it is, I see this jointer taking fine shavings when truing edges of boards).

JMouth1.jpg

And, yes, it can make proper shavings. I only had a board of Karri Pine to hand, but it made light work with (in my impatience) a semi-sharp blade.

JShavingscombo1.jpg

I plan to write up a few "how-tos" (would that make it "how three"?) on areas such as constructing a lever cap and cap screws without fancy shmancy equipment.

Hoping you enjoyed this as much as I ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cripes, Derek, I'm well and truly gob-smacked. Dunno what to say about this one - it's, it's... Heck, it's flippin' enormous! I think I needed the close-up pics first, to appreciate the craftsmanship, before the whole eyeful rendered me a gibbering wreck unable to comment sensibly. Looking forward the metal-working for non-metalworkers.

Cheers, Alf

A lovely piece of work. Question, why do jointers have such a large distance from the nose/ front of the plane to the blade. Would it work just as well with say half the distance. Other than for applying pressure all of the action is post the blade. By the way this is not in any way a criticism it is an observation that applies to many long jointers. Again superb craftmanship.

:shock: :shock: What a whopper :shock: :shock:

Very nice, Derek. This could get quite competitive if Philly makes his next plane 31" :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Wow thats massive :shock: It'll be interesting to hear how it works out on a project. I know my #8 really wears me out, but its also twice as heavy, and not as long.

Derek, a thing of beauty indeed. I've just been reading Philly's write up of making a laminated Jack, so I'm beginning to understand the woodwork involved. I'm also keen to hear about the metal working side of the project. Brilliant work...

Derek,
It looks amazing - and fabulous. I would love one, except that my workshop needs to be at least 3 feet wider to use it. That pink brass is very pretty - does it have a special name?

goodness Derek thats a bigun.....do you have a specific job for it or was it built on spec.

nice job btw

I

goodness Derek thats a bigun.....do you have a specific job for it or was it built on spec.

Hi Ian

Thanks to you and everyone for the words of encouragement.

A bit of background. Ron Hock (of Hock blade infamy) offered the members of the Porch (Old Tools List) blades at a reduced cost to build a bevel up smoother. I wanted to participate in the fun but had recently built an infill BU smoother, so decided to build a jointer instead. When the time came, however, the blade was too short to use on the longer bed of a BU design. So I changed this to a BD design. I always wanted a B-I-G jointer, and 30" has tended to be the number that is held up.

This is not a large plane in terms of mass. After the waste was removed to form the razee, the weight came in at a tad under 5 lbs (2.25kg). Its dimensions are: 45mm high at the high point, 30mm at the razee section, 70mm wide and 760mm long. 2" (50mm) wide blade 3/16" thick. It is quite comfortable to push, feeling much smaller than it looks in the pictures. I think it will be great for long edges.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Paul Chapman":edn7ud6z said:
:shock: :shock: What a whopper :shock: :shock:

Very nice, Derek. This could get quite competitive if Philly makes his next plane 31" :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul beat me to it, cracking bit of work =D> .....wonder what Philly's going to do next in the plane making department :-k - Rob

Hi Derek,
I know what you mean about the balance -size to weight ratio.....i played with KH's last 28 1/2" jointer and although it was a good bit heavier it didnt seem like it was as big as its size suggests....if felt like a smaller plane, beautifully balanced. i can imagine yours has a similar feel particulary due to its weight.

your step by step pics, writeups and your enginuity is excellant ....just dont know where you get the time.

I

Lovely job Derek and glad to see you stayed at 30"

Can't wait for the 'how-to' posts, bring them on!!

Latest posts

Back