Solid brass lever cap and frog

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petesky58

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a solid brass Stanley lever cap any ideas on this. I cannot find any information about its manufacture by Stanley. There is a solid brass frog that comes along with this. 4/12 plane. No stamp or marks on the frog or the sole of the plane very thick cast iron.

Possibly a copy casting by someone like a pattern maker? AFAIK, with one exception, Stanley only ever did a cast iron lever cap with the "STANLEY" name cast in, which may have nickel plating, no plating at all or chrome plating depending on when made (roughly 1930s and early post war, WWII and from early to mid-1950s to the present day). Likewise, with one exception, they only made cast iron frogs. The exception? A short-lived series of aluminium planes made in the 20s and 30s.

As to the body, from about 1900 to the 1930s Stanley bench planes always had one or more patent dates on the body, just behind the frog. From the 1920s the bench planes also has "Made in USA", or from mid 1940s when manufacture started in Sheffield it could be "Made in England". You can also find "Made in Canada" and "Made in Australia" on planes made in thise countries in the 50s and 60s, but they are like hens teeth in the UK (Dates above are just rough - see references below for fine dating)

For more info go to The Stanley Bench Plane Page and follow the flow chart. Also for additional info look at The Superior Works - Patrick's Blood & Gore: Preface , an excellent guide to Stanley planes

Last edited:
Likely made by someone with access to metal casting. Brass versions of tools turn up now and then. GTL made a range of budget tools in the 30tes and put out a brass plane but I dont think the frog(if it was brass even) would fit a stanley body as they had a norris style adjuster. I have an iron one about No3 size.
GTL British Plane – MVFlaim Furnituremaker

WS planes had brass leaver caps but they have WS marked on them.
Regards
John

Back