Joining Oak Worktops End to End

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funinacup

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post here but been a lurker for a while. Love reading everyone's projects and gleaning knowledge.

I'm a keen DIYer and my old man is a joiner so love working with him on projects.

I've been tasked with creating one long table top out of two offcuts of 40mm oak worktop. They're odd sizes at the moment but I'll cut them down so I'm left with two pieces roughly 700x600. I want the tabletop to have no obvious join, but not convinced I have the tools required.

I have a circular saw, drill and that's about it. Would the best way be to use worktop bolts, or could I use a half lap joint and some metal plates underneath for strength?

The top is going to be supported by two table bases.

Hope that's enough info to get going. Really appreciate your help!

Thanks
Michael

Id be tempted to strip them up into narrow pieces.

Then cut some in half.

Then rejoin so the joints are all staggered.

Yep, I'm with Robin on this. If you can't hide a joint, you have to emphasise it, and a straight joint across a small table top would look peculiar. Chop it all up and stick it back together again in a different order, and you should end up with something presentable.

Back