John Lewis - simply the best

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does sound like you unfortunately got a 'Friday built' machine there Steve, but JLP doing a good job. After the rebuild I would be tempted to enquire as to what sort of warranty there is on the repair. I speak from no experience, but even if the original 3 year warranty has run out there may be some sort of period of guarantee on the repair work.

Terry.

P.S. Also have a Miele (separate washer and drier), had them for 11 years now and have seen a lot of service with the kids combined with UK weather. Brilliant machines, but I do worry that the passing of time will mean that when we do come to replace the next ones will not be as well made after some finance guys have been looking to strip some cost out.

To misquote Martin Luther King:

The ultimate measure of a company is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where they stand at times when their products fail.

I rate John Lewis very highly and there's no doubt in my mind that their business model is the driver behind the success, behind the culture specifically. Having no "shareholder value" to turn staff into robots, rather a profit share where everybody wins is a lot more motivating than making some "fat rich bloke" even more rich!

Fan-bloomin'-tastic.
Just had a call from their service company. My TD has been deemed to be beyond economical repair and they are replacing it. Not quite the same model, but the equivalent, same specs. Or I can have a JL voucher and go shopping for something else. And, because it is a new machine, I get a new 3-year warranty to boot.
Now is that good or is that good?

Next q. Can I use the old motor for something useful in the workshop?

Yes......a gizmo for riddling compost and/or soil so only the right sized particles come through. If you make it, I'll buy it! It has to be able to quickly fill a wheelbarrow without my back being broken!

Steve Maskery":1ogkyb4f said:
Fan-bloomin'-tastic.
Just had a call from their service company. My TD has been deemed to be beyond economical repair and they are replacing it. Not quite the same model, but the equivalent, same specs. Or I can have a JL voucher and go shopping for something else. And, because it is a new machine, I get a new 3-year warranty to boot.
Now is that good or is that good?

I think you'd have to try very hard to find better customer service than that.

Steve Maskery":30k4ufv6 said:

Usually these motor are open frame and so a bit vulnerable for general purpose use.
Make sure you retrieve the starter switch relay and the capacitor. The starter on TD is quite often a current operated relay with gravity return on the contact so it has to be mounted the right way up mechanically.
The coil is in series with the run winding, and when the motor is below running speed (or stopped) the excessive current drawn by the run winding, closes the relay contacts and connects the capacitor and start winding into the circuit. Once the motor is up to speed the current drops and the relay opens.
This method is also used for fridge compressors where a centrifugal switch inside the pressure pot would be awkward to say the least. Quite why TDs use this method is a mystery to me but lots of them do.

hth
Bob

Hi Bob, I was hoping you would chip in :)
I think I shall probably strip it of every useful nut and bolt and then leave it out on the pavement. I have no doubt that it will disappear within a nanosecond!
S

Back