A trip to a toolshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent been to a good tool shop for years. We used to have Fardons in Southend closed about 35 years ago the old boy that ran it had been a Pow on the burma railway & wouldnt have anything japanese in his shop.
The place was full of everything high quality a man could want. Then Marshall & Parsons was pretty good, then a Machine Mart opened 50 yards down the road & that was the end of them!

never been back to Machine Mart since I bought one of their bandsaw blades in desperation.....
I wont go to AXI either if buying bigger machines....

Isaac Lord used to be a good tool store in High Wycombe, though it's many years since I've been.
Indeed, the shop in Desborough road was one of those old world tool shops full of unusual tools you never knew existed. It was also good for DeWalt/Elu spares too.
That shop has now closed and they've moved further up the hill and still supply a massive range of fixtures and fittings.
I suspect that Axminister opening their massive place locally with plenty of easy parking will have hit their tool sales, but I think they have a loyal trade clientele who value their range of fittings and more trade centred place.

How About D&M Tools in Twickenham that should be closer to you,
I went a few years ago and it was TINY inside, really difficult to move around and find anything in or just browse. Great if you know what you want, but not quite the same 'destination quality' that the big sheds like Axminster have. There you can wander around, try things, get a free tea/coffee and parking isn't an issue, whereas D&M in Twickenham is a nightmare to park close to.
It would be easier to get to High Wycombe than Twickenham from Billericay anyway. Axi's store in Sittingbourne is even closer.

I went a few years ago and it was TINY inside, really difficult to move around and find anything in or just browse. Great if you know what you want, but not quite the same 'destination quality' that the big sheds like Axminster have. There you can wander around, try things, get a free tea/coffee and parking isn't an issue, whereas D&M in Twickenham is a nightmare to park close to.
It would be easier to get to High Wycombe than Twickenham from Billericay anyway. Axi's store in Sittingbourne is even closer.
Sounds like I’m better waiting for their show in October that’s definitely worth a visit
https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/events-diary

If ever you're in the Forest of Dean go to Toolite in Mitcheldean. Now that's an experience. It's housed in an old warehouse which is crammed full of stuff. It's a real rabbit waren. When I first used them 20 years ago they gave you a ball of string to pay out as you went round so you could find your way out. Of course these days they're up to date with the latest technology - they give you a satnav.
Brian

My Wife joined me for a look around the Warrington Axminster shop when we were returning from IKEA. She thought it was an interesting place to visit and enjoyed seeing me having fun looking at all the things I eventually want to get. I'll certainly go again in the future

Sean

Yeah I just noticed the Sittingbourne axminster store. It didn't pop up on Google maps when I first searched for some reason, that's 1 hour from me.

On the back of this thread I took a trip to Yandles today with three of the children. Totally not what I was expecting, actually had a good day out, guys in the tool shop were welcoming even with the little ones in tow, good cafe and an arts and crafts shop for them to look around afterwards. I’ll be going back. Without the good lady there with me I seem to have parted with most of my Xmas bonus though 😂

Axi’s Newcastle store is closest to me; it doesn’t look that large from the front and there’s not as much parking as say, Nuneaton, but when you walk in it opens up like a tardis.
There’s normally plenty of stock in including the bigger kit and all the staff are friendly and helpful.
Only downside….it’s just the other side of the Tyne Tunnel so you get done with the toll charges unless you fancy a trip into the Toon and work your way back in and out that way.
Honestly, it’s worth the toll charge….I’m not that tight!

I like the look of that bench!

My favourites are Axminster Sittingbourne and Classic Hand Tools in Ipswich. Both staffed by friendly and helpful folk.

Of course, the best tool shop of all was Thomas Bros, in Holloway Road, circa 1973. This is because my grandad worked there, and I got to play with all the stuff!

I used to live in Wycombe and remember spending many hours browsing Isaac Lords when it was located on the Desborough Rd and their trade counter up the hill a bit. There was also a really good old school timber merchants near the London Rd who in the days before 'elf and safety would allow you to browse and pull out whatever timber you wanted - I remember I built an entire oak faced kitchen out of off-cuts from them. They were the sort of place that would machine up pallets of leg blanks for Ercol and the many other furniture makers in the area - a quick search showed this list the names of which is like a trip down memory lane for me -https://wycombemuseum.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Furniture-factory-list.pdf
It was after an initial visit to that shop that I started my adventure with proper woodworking and bought a small Kity Bestcombi machine.... happy days :)

Of course, the best tool shop of all was Thomas Bros, in Holloway Road, circa 1973.
A classic example of an old tool shop. Virtually nothing on display, but if you knew what you needed, they had it, and someone in a brown coat would go and find it in the back rooms.
A few good bargains to be had there when it finally closed.
I was nearer to Franchi further along Holloway road and bought a lot of kit from them in the 80s, all the Elu kit still working well too :)

High Wycombe Museum is well worth a visit to any woodworker. Like most museums it documents the history of the town and surrounding area but with emphasis on the furniture making industry for which the town became famous. I was especially interested in the life and times of the 'bodgers' who worked deep in the beechwoods of the Chiltern hills, they turned out thousands of chair legs on primitive pole lathes which were sold on to the chairmakers located in the town. They were on piece work and probably paid a pittance for their labours,

Back