A trip to a toolshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksDad

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the slightly click baity title will disappoint you when you found out I went to the local Axminster Tools store today :)

I’d not been in a while and had time for a proper walk round and look at everything and it was a reminder of how enjoyable visiting a store actually is compared to online shopping.

42F4DE00-F95E-42CA-8A4D-DEF780E0854D.jpeg

Where else can you go and actually put your hands on some Veritas planes / saws and give them a quick go and walk out with one there and then if you want.

4DE1377D-9389-4AE5-A54E-E5D5150B2F56.jpeg

I think almost all the bandsaws they stock were on display (as well as lathes, pillar drills, planer thicknessers, dust extractors)- great for visualising one in our small workshops.

There’s even a small selection of wood you can purchase
E6E71D2E-2BFD-497C-8B91-A47EE1575AD0.jpeg

And they even have new tools in you can look at like the new Festool TS60

57BC0C59-D4C6-4AD8-8367-7B5DC35CD518.jpeg

If you haven’t been to an Axminster store or don’t have one close - if you’re travelling for Christmas then perhaps see if you can stop off. The High Wycombe one is convenient - about 2 minutes off J4 of the M40. There’s a big out of town John Lewis nearby as well so if travelling with family you could drop them there first and tell them you’ll see them in an hour 😀

Note I'm not trying to advertise Axminster - it was just nice to go into a tool shop and look, see and touch tools. E.G. very easy to compare the TS55 and the Mafell 55 when they are right next to each other and feel the ergonomics of each, or try both the Bosch axial glide and the Kapex 120 plus lots of other tools, accessories, benches (Sjoberg benches - seem very overpriced for what they are!) etc.

But more expensive because you end up buying more stuff you did not realise you needed / wanted .
Our clubs get support from a couple tool stores in the form of gift cards that we draw for at our monthly meetings to raise money. Everyone says the $25 cards always cost them a hundred or more because the things we want are always more that the value of the card. 🤣 Clever way to get us in the door. 😉

Pete

Yeah I really fancy a trip to an Axminster store but I'm waiting until I have some actual money to spend....

I don't think there is anything else like an Axminster store in terms of offering 'woodworking' tools - I've been to a big ITS and that was good but it's basically power tools for the trades.

Yeah I really fancy a trip to an Axminster store but I'm waiting until I have some actual money to spend....

I don't think there is anything else like an Axminster store in terms of offering 'woodworking' tools - I've been to a big ITS and that was good but it's basically power tools for the trades.
I've not visited my local Axminster store yet, I prefer Yandles, they're a lot less expensive ( for the things I buy anyway) for instance, pewter lids at Yandles are only £2.45 at Axminster the same item is £5.98, they're equally different on most things. Makes the 2hr drive worthwhile now and then.

Yes the slightly click baity title will disappoint you when you found out I went to the local Axminster Tools store today :)

I’d not been in a while and had time for a proper walk round and look at everything and it was a reminder of how enjoyable visiting a store actually is compared to online shopping.

View attachment 149584

Where else can you go and actually put your hands on some Veritas planes / saws and give them a quick go and walk out with one there and then if you want.

View attachment 149585
I think almost all the bandsaws they stock were on display (as well as lathes, pillar drills, planer thicknessers, dust extractors)- great for visualising one in our small workshops.

There’s even a small selection of wood you can purchase
View attachment 149586

And they even have new tools in you can look at like the new Festool TS60

View attachment 149587

If you haven’t been to an Axminster store or don’t have one close - if you’re travelling for Christmas then perhaps see if you can stop off. The High Wycombe one is convenient - about 2 minutes off J4 of the M40. There’s a big out of town John Lewis nearby as well so if travelling with family you could drop them there first and tell them you’ll see them in an hour 😀

Note I'm not trying to advertise Axminster - it was just nice to go into a tool shop and look, see and touch tools. E.G. very easy to compare the TS55 and the Mafell 55 when they are right next to each other and feel the ergonomics of each, or try both the Bosch axial glide and the Kapex 120 plus lots of other tools, accessories, benches (Sjoberg benches - seem very overpriced for what they are!) etc.
That TS60 looks like a pretty niche product. How much call is there for a ceiling saw?

I also go to Axminster High Wycombe, it's like the Tardis... go in for 5 mins and come out 1 hour later... i don't necessarily spend anything i'm a tight buttocks :ROFLMAO:

I've not visited my local Axminster store yet, I prefer Yandles, they're a lot less expensive ( for the things I buy anyway) for instance, pewter lids at Yandles are only £2.45 at Axminster the same item is £5.98, they're equally different on most things. Makes the 2hr drive worthwhile now and then.
Yandles looks cool but it's three hours from me... I'll stick to axminster

There are a couple of tool stores that I check out on our very occasional trips up to the Big City.
Thankfully wife is tolerant of this and waits in the car understanding that I need what she refers to as 'a fix.'
Just so long as I don't actually spend anything.
Love the photos, BucksDad

Looking at these photos I am filled with envy, I would love to have a local store like this. Do we have anything like this in the south east? I am in east sussex

Looking at these photos I am filled with envy, I would love to have a local store like this. Do we have anything like this in the south east? I am in east sussex
Axminster Basingstoke which is 20 mins from me would be in the region of 2 hours from you. The downside to having a niche hobby is having fewer physical stores to visit.

I'm going to the Nuneaton store tomorrow, I've been given money for Christmas with instructions to spend it on a new veritas low angle smoother, which I just have to try first - it's the law. It would be rude to drive there without having a good look around, so I've blocked off the morning. Really looking forward to it.

Love Axi - costs me fortune as it’s no more than 30mins away!
Some bits are a little more expensive, the odd bit cheaper, but you can’t beat the knowledgeable people, helpfulness, ability to touch and feel, and fantastic customer service (I use Nuneaton).
I also use Yandles on average 2-3 times a year, it’s similar but different, and cost me equally because of the self service wood yard!!!

Would recommend both!

Padster

Back