JML or other screw extractors. Do they work?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to remove some decking boards that have those green coated pozi headed screws, some of the heads are a bit chewed and I doubt they will come out normal fashion.

Anyone tried the JML kit from the likes of Homebase?

The problem I see is although the heads are chewed they are hardened and wonder if the extractor is going to be able to get a grip.

Might be a non starter, but thought I would ask :wink:

IMHO they're all a bit hit and miss. I've had two different types from Trend in the last few years - the most recent ones are similar to the JML style. Plus side they work - minus side only about 60% of the time :cry:

FFC thanks for the reply, yes my feeling is that if your lucky and the winds in the right direction they can work....maybe.

cambournepete":3r7iuyvp said:
Can I refer the honourable gentlement to this mini review I posted on this 'ere forum in April?

Ta for that link, I did search Pete honest, yours seems to be more aimed at hex head machine screw removal and I dont ever have problems getting those out or broken studs. If I can drill a pilot hole in it then I have some stud extractors that have lasted me years and always do the job. If its a hex with a rounded top or a stud that cant be drilled for any reason then the trusty mig welder gets em moving no problem. I weld a "tit" on the top of the stud/bolt head and weld a nut to that, the heat transfer along with some duck oil/wd40 makes them want to come out :wink:

I would use the mig on these deck screws but im sure the decking would get a nasty tan around the screw hole.

Looks like its down to a hacksaw blade in a holder and cut off the stuck ones as long as I can get under the deck boards to use it.

Yes another option Roger, I have a couple of 5/8" plug cutters, last resort though, gluing plugs back in decking and shaping to suit grove.

I'm going to have a few holes where screws were that I will have to make little bungs for anyway I think. Or maybe they will gust fill up with debris and not notice...

Just a thought but they may be STAR headed rather than Phillips/Pozi, in which case you will need a suitable star shaped driver.

Feel free to ignore this post if you have already thought of this.

Martin.

Yes they are def PZ2 heads, I bought a large amount of replacement screws over the weekend and tested them against the fitted ones. Chalk and cheese, I could fire my new screws in and out of a bit of 4x2 as many times as I liked without the heads becoming damaged at all, the ones I am replacing melted in front of the bit rounding out in no time if pushed hard.

I got around 10 that wouldnt shift from the decking today, luckily I was able to get a hacksaw blade under the boards and cut them.

A screw is not just a screw it seems...

Latest posts

Back