Jet, Performax and Axminster Drum Sanders ???????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
studders":23dzdndx said:
Mike.C":23dzdndx said:
this is a lot of money to spend and I want to get the best value for money that I can.

Cheers

Mike

Tell you what Mike... and I wouldn't put myself out like this for just anyone but, as it's you.
Send me the money and I'll buy and test the Tools on your behalf, just to make sure they're up to the job.
A good, long term, totally thorough testing will be carried out and I will of course keep you constantly updated.

:lol:

Bl€€ding hell Steve that is a brilliant offer, the cheque is in the post :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2lbfxt69 said:
I would have thought that sandpaper would soon lose its grip, or tear easily and need to be replaced quiet often. I don't like the sound of that, and it is one reason to go for one of the Axminster's which as far as I know have rubber conveyor belts.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike - hope all is well - I'm not aware of any major issues with the sandpaper loosing grip (the wood to be sanded just sits on it and doesn't actually wear it down) - maybe after a few years, then yes it could need replacing, but we sell very few replacement sandpaper belts vs machines.

Tearing is an issue if it's not tracked correctly as per all belt sanders, but Jet sanders have ceramic guides below the table to help on this - It's not a difficult job to get it running true if it ever gets a knock and goes out of line.

I can't remember which part of Scotland you are in, but if you want to see the 22-44osc sander in the flesh and working, then Burhouse near Perth have one in their workshop which they use themselves, I'm sure Craig there would be happy to let you have a play on it if you give him a call. The oscillating action makes a big difference to the final finish.

Burhouse: http://www.jeanburhouse.com

Hope this helps, feel free to e-mail me if I can help out any further

Cheers
Nick

Brimarc Tools and Machinery
[email protected]

Jetman":2bpsgcr5 said:
Mike.C":2bpsgcr5 said:
I would have thought that sandpaper would soon lose its grip, or tear easily and need to be replaced quiet often. I don't like the sound of that, and it is one reason to go for one of the Axminster's which as far as I know have rubber conveyor belts.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike - hope all is well - I'm not aware of any major issues with the sandpaper loosing grip (the wood to be sanded just sits on it and doesn't actually wear it down) - maybe after a few years, then yes it could need replacing, but we sell very few replacement sandpaper belts vs machines.

Tearing is an issue if it's not tracked correctly as per all belt sanders, but Jet sanders have ceramic guides below the table to help on this - It's not a difficult job to get it running true if it ever gets a knock and goes out of line.

I can't remember which part of Scotland you are in, but if you want to see the 22-44osc sander in the flesh and working, then Burhouse near Perth have one in their workshop which they use themselves, I'm sure Craig there would be happy to let you have a play on it if you give him a call. The oscillating action makes a big difference to the final finish.

Burhouse: http://www.jeanburhouse.com

Hope this helps, feel free to e-mail me if I can help out any further

Cheers
Nick

Brimarc Tools and Machinery
[email protected]

Hi Nick, its been a while. I hope both you and the family are ok. I live about 150 miles from Perth, so its a bit far at the moment, but thanks for the thought.

It's good to hear that the sandpaper belt is not a problem as it means that if I do go for a Jet I do not need to go for optional rubber one.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Mike

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, make sure you allocate some fundage to a decent dust extraction system for the machine - Rob

woodbloke":2eoelni0 said:
In case it hasn't been mentioned already, make sure you allocate some fundage to a decent dust extraction system for the machine - Rob

Hi Rob, many thanks for your thoughts. I am going to use the same machine that I believe you had/have, the Camvac twin motor GV386. What do you think, will it be up to the job? I think that it will but it is always better to get other people's advice, because I could unknowingly be acting like a tight git in not wanting to splash out on a better machine :lol:

Cheers

Mike

hi, Mike
just wondering what you went for in the end as im in the market for a drum sander as well and would be interested in any advise, assistance from someone in the same boat,
Mark

markwuzere":1mabjlvu said:
hi, Mike
just wondering what you went for in the end as im in the market for a drum sander as well and would be interested in any advise, assistance from someone in the same boat,
Mark

Hi Mark, sorry mate but due to not being able to get enough advice from members who own one (it's a hell of a lot of money to waste), or at least used one for any length of time https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/axmi ... 41542.html I have decided to go for a upgrade to my bandsaw, and so I am waiting until I can get a good bargain, and make my money go just a tad further.

Of course there maybe no owners on the forum :roll: , but if there is you maybe a bit luckier then me and catch the attention of owners who can give you "first hand advice"

Sorry that I could not be more helpful.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Mike

thanks Mike, decided to take the plunge and have ordered the jet 22/44 with extension tables as soon as it arrives i will post a review and let you know if its worth buying,Mark

markwuzere":849ferhh said:
thanks Mike, decided to take the plunge and have ordered the jet 22/44 with extension tables as soon as it arrives i will post a review and let you know if its worth buying,Mark

Thanks Mark.

On going back through previous threads I have found a number of owners :roll: but not much in the way of reviews, so yours will be most welcome for those that maybe thinking of buying one in the future.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your open ended Jet, or have you got a link?

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":u32ui2ba said:
markwuzere":u32ui2ba said:

Thanks Mark.

On going back through previous threads I have found a number of owners :roll: but not much in the way of reviews, so yours will be most welcome for those that maybe thinking of buying one in the future.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your open ended Jet, or have you got a link?

Cheers

Mike

No problem
jet 22/44 £859
in/out feed tables £69
came from david biven machinery
web site is www.davidbivenmachinery.co.uk
although its a bit old school as in i phone or email him with what i want and he gets back to me with prices, service is fantastic and Dave is a real gent to deal with, infact i have started to use him for alot of my blades, cutters etc as well as machinery, Mark

markwuzere":3clw4lfw said:
Mike.C":3clw4lfw said:
markwuzere":3clw4lfw said:

Thanks Mark.

Cheers

Mike

No problem
jet 22/44 £859
in/out feed tables £69
came from david biven machinery
web site is www.davidbivenmachinery.co.uk
although its a bit old school as in i phone or email him with what i want and he gets back to me with prices, service is fantastic and Dave is a real gent to deal with, infact i have started to use him for alot of my blades, cutters etc as well as machinery, Mark

Compared to Axminster that's not a bad price indeed :D They want £933 for the sander and £107.95 for the in and out feed tables.

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,
Just picked up this thread,

last Saturday Axminster Sittingbourne had a 'Special' day which in effect selling off machines with slight damage , marks, ex showroom, that sort of thing.

I went to get a 10-20 drum sander which I was told they had one.

On arrival I it was just being sold to some guy, :evil: :evil: gnash,gnash.

But they did have two more 16-32s that had been scratched. I grabbed one and someone else standing beside me grabbed the other. :shock:

After a bit of bartering we got them for £535.00 each (they also come with a stand)

After using it this week I don't how I've managed without one all this time.

At the moment I can thoroughly recommend it.

John. B

I was just about to ask the same question as Mike about these machines as I am doing more batch work now and find it hard work and very time consuming sanding items down to remove tearout divets, I reckon I will have to convice my better half that its a good idea.

My next big machine purchase will be a Jet 22-44 OSC, I think it would speed up production hugely.

motownmartin":3kfghnwp said:
Mike.C":3kfghnwp said:
Very nice John well done :wink:

Go for it Martin, you know that you can wrap her around your little finger :lol:

Cheers

Mike
Now City aren't in the play off final it should be a bit easier.

They can't have been any worse then Arsenal this year ](*,) ](*,) It got so bad I nearly poured petrol over my avatar and set it on fire ](*,) ](*,)

Cheers

Mike

Well, she didn't take a lot of persuading, and it arrived this morning, yes a Jet 16-32 plus, WOW it's brilliant.

What really frustrated me was the fact that when working with interesting woods and put it through the thicknesser, it was inevitable that there would be some tearout, which meant a lot of sanding, hours and hours of it.

Well, no more, a few mins through this and it's done, tearout gone and the piece is flat and evenly thicknessed, just have to finish off with the orbital sander.

motownmartin":31t68525 said:
Well, she didn't take a lot of persuading, and it arrived this morning, yes a Jet 16-32 plus, WOW it's brilliant.

What really frustrated me was the fact that when working with interesting woods and put it through the thicknesser, it was inevitable that there would be some tearout, which meant a lot of sanding, hours and hours of it.

Well, no more, a few mins through this and it's done, tearout gone and the piece is flat and evenly thicknessed, just have to finish off with the orbital sander.
100% agreement wish i'd had one years ago :wink:

Back