Jet, Performax and Axminster Drum Sanders ???????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I had just jumped into bed last night when SWMBO knocked me for six (no nothing like that :roll: ). She said that because I have had a rough time over the last 2 years she had got together with a few other family members to as she put it "Spoil me on my birthday in May" To be bl€€ding honest with the worry she has had to endure, she has had a rougher time then me.

Anyway to the point of my post. She has managed to get £1200 in the kity, and I can spend it on anything I want too :lol:

So it got me thinking that ever since I saw Norm use one I have always wanted a drum sander, and I thought that this maybe a good as time as any to get one.
After looking on the Axminster website I do not know which one to go for, and so I was hoping that some members have got one, or have used one in the past.

The candidates are:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44 At £600 (including optional leg stand) this would leave me enough to get a Festool Domino :lol: but is it any good? Also can you say if it is worth getting the table extensions. In fact is it worth getting the legs, or would I be better off building a bench to mount it?
Although it will sand/thickness upto 20" in two passes is that enough? One thing that is putting me off this machine is the "Light Trade" that Axminster grades it.

The next in line is the http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/4/prod ... -33027.htm which will sand 32" in two passes, is rated as "Trade" and comes with the stand included. The power difference between the smaller one and this are 1200w input and 1900w input.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the standard rubber conveyor belt and the alternative one that they are selling?

This one at 2.2kw input is their biggest Jet http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/5/prod ... -33037.htm but you have to pay £112 or £239 for a stand.

The last one is an Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/7/prod ... -23258.htm and although it will only sand 25", like Norms one it does have two drums onto which I think you can fit different grades of grit, which if this is the case you could rough and fine sand in one motion, does this sound right?

The only negative think I have read about drum sanders is that on some of them it is near on impossible to keep the conveyor belt tracked and that you have to retrack it every time you use it. Has anyone found this to be the case?

Has anyone got one of the above, and are they worth the money?

Are there any different models sold elsewhere?

The Jet 22-44 has an oscillating model for an extra £500 http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/7/prod ... -23258.htm Has anyone tried this model and is the oscillating part worth the money?

Any help, advice and tips will be gratefully received, even if its "Stay clear of them, they are not worth the money"

Cheers

Mike

Have you looked for a used one on ebay? Make your money go further?

I wouldn't mind about the stands, better to make your own with some storage and bits.

Lucky boy!

Mike - i've been watching this one

I won't be bidding, but just wanted to see what it went for.

Cheers

Karl

Chems":au1ph8g3 said:
Have you looked for a used one on ebay? Make your money go further?

I wouldn't mind about the stands, better to make your own with some storage and bits.

Lucky boy!

Yes I have and I noticed the one Karl mentions in the link.

In built storage for the tools and sandpaper was exactly what I was thinking about :wink:

Mike - i've been watching this one

I won't be bidding, but just wanted to see what it went for.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks Karl I did notice that one, but I have a feeling that in the next hour the price will shoot up a bit. On top of that I have no idea what the model is like, hence the reason for asking for feedback. The trouble is I think I have asked at the wrong time (at least for the ebay auction) because most members will be getting in from work or eating their dinner.

Cheers

Mike

Mike
NOW AT THIS MIN!!!!
AS WE SPEAK!!!

ebay now 16 32 ....
under axminster drum sander not drum sander..
with extractor 345 pounds so far..29 mins to go
hope you see this

dicktimber":25srml6j said:
Mike
NOW AT THIS MIN!!!!
AS WE SPEAK!!!

ebay now 16 32 ....
under axminster drum sander not drum sander..
with extractor 345 pounds so far..29 mins to go
hope you see this

Dick is that the same as the link Karl gave me, because it is the only one I can find?

Cheers

Mike

Not a bad price £455 with the extractor, and bits and bobs.
£700 plus new arrd.
Probalbly need extension tables and rubber belt anothe £140 arrd
Did you bid?

Mike.C":30cpw382 said:
dicktimber":30cpw382 said:
yes sorry..
I just got all excited for you..

No problem Dick, I get excited for others too :roll:

Cheers

Mike

pipper he got me with a late bid :( £455 with an extractor, what a great price :cry:

So my original questions above still stand. Many thanks to Karl and Dick for trying :wink:

Cheers

Mike

I would build one myself, it is on my list of things to build this year. £1200 is a lot of money!!! Have fun spending it, you have a very thoughtful wife. I'd get something for her as well, just to show her how much you love her.

woodsworth":10cpyufj said:
I would build one myself, it is on my list of things to build this year. £1200 is a lot of money!!! Have fun spending it, you have a very thoughtful wife. I'd get something for her as well, just to show her how much you love her.

Your right mate she is one of a kind. Because of my illness's she has had a hell of a lot to worry about, and your idea of getting her something too is perfect. Thankyou.

As for building one I would not know where to start :roll:

Cheers

Mike

Axminster's Senior model pops up on eBay quite frequently. I doubt that's a bad thing but I reckon you stand a good chance of saving a few hundred, there, even with the additional courier costs.

For what it's worth, the Festool Domino alone would cost just over £600 but you'd then need to spend another £150+ to get the other systainer with a loads of dominoes and all the relevant cutters (it may sound daft but, it is much cheaper than buying them all individually, later).

Nick Gibbs tested the Jet 22-44 Oscillating model a few months ago - you could always drop him an e-mail, if you missed that issue. Although I've not used it, I personally like the idea of an oscillating drum as it's less likely to leave lines running across the grain.

If you did got for one of the larger machines though, at 2,200w, you may need to consider having a 16amp socket installed, if you don't already have one in your workshop.

Personally, I would only expect to use a machine like this to flatten a panel and would still expect to have to do some work with a portable sander before I could think about applying a finish. Stick with the coarser abrasives. Also bear in mind that you won't be able to remove a maximum of 0.5mm in a single pass (they're not planer thicknessers!! :D :wink:).

As always - go for the biggest you can afford, really! :roll: Some people frown upon the open-ended sanders and believe they could be less accurate and prone to flexing under load... This isn't a complaint I've heard from people who use these machines, though. :)

I have copied a set of drawings and a write up from FWW. If you are interested i can pop it in the post to you. It is one of the best i have seen as it has a bigger drum so it doesn't heat up as much and it doesn't clog up as fast.

OPJ":32xl3pqa said:
Axminster's Senior model pops up on eBay quite frequently. I doubt that's a bad thing but I reckon you stand a good chance of saving a few hundred, there, even with the additional courier costs.

For what it's worth, the Festool Domino alone would cost just over £600 but you'd then need to spend another £150+ to get the other systainer with a loads of dominoes and all the relevant cutters (it may sound daft but, it is much cheaper than buying them all individually, later).

Nick Gibbs tested the Jet 22-44 Oscillating model a few months ago - you could always drop him an e-mail, if you missed that issue. Although I've not used it, I personally like the idea of an oscillating drum as it's less likely to leave lines running across the grain.

If you did got for one of the larger machines though, at 2,200w, you may need to consider having a 16amp socket installed, if you don't already have one in your workshop.

Personally, I would only expect to use a machine like this to flatten a panel and would still expect to have to do some work with a portable sander before I could think about applying a finish. Stick with the coarser abrasives. Also bear in mind that you won't be able to remove a maximum of 0.5mm in a single pass (they're not planer thicknessers!! :D :wink:).

As always - go for the biggest you can afford, really! :roll: Some people frown upon the open-ended sanders and believe they could be less accurate and prone to flexing under load... This isn't a complaint I've heard from people who use these machines, though. :)

Hi Olly many thanks for your reply. I'm a bit gutted that I never got the 16-32 as that would have left me a nice amount left to play with, but hey I'm not complaining because I am lucky to have the money I have to spend.

As I said I like the idea of the Senior because I believe you can put two different grades of grits on the two drums (is this correct?).

I did not realise that the extras that are needed to get the Domino up and running cost so much, so I will probably leave that for another day and concentrate on getting a good sander.

I will drop Nick a email to see if he still has the issue with the Jet test in.

I already have 16 amps in the workshop because my table saw needed it.

I did read that after you pass your work through a drum sander it still needs some work, and I have got Tom's Metabo to do that job for me.

Once again Olly thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Mike

woodsworth":pm91o2ap said:
I have copied a set of drawings and a write up from FWW. If you are interested i can pop it in the post to you. It is one of the best i have seen as it has a bigger drum so it doesn't heat up as much and it doesn't clog up as fast.

Yeah that would be great. Now whether I can build one is another story :lol:

I will pm you with my address.

Cheers

Mike

We've got the Axminster Senior in our workshop and its a great little machine. You are right in thinking that you use different grits on the two drums.

Funnily enough, we've just been discussing this morning about upgrading to a wide-belt sander. So if you can hang on a while, ours could well be coming on the market soon. We'd be looking for around £600.

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":1nr5iacq said:
We've got the Axminster Senior in our workshop and its a great little machine. You are right in thinking that you use different grits on the two drums.

Funnily enough, we've just been discussing this morning about upgrading to a wide-belt sander. So if you can hang on a while, ours could well be coming on the market soon. We'd be looking for around £600.

Cheers
Brad

Hi Brad, I have another one in the pipeline which may or may not be any good, but yes I am certainly interested, and time does not really matter, so if it comes to it I am able to wait. Being a novice when it comes to drum sanders I am not sure if it is of a great benefit, but I really like the idea of the two drums. How old is it?

Edit: I have just seen this Delta drum sander http://www.internetwoodworking.com/w5/r ... eview.html
and I noticed that the actual conveyor belt is made of sandpaper. Is this normal and the reason why some of the Jets have a rubber conveyor belt as an optional extra?
I would have thought that sandpaper would soon lose its grip, or tear easily and need to be replaced quiet often. I don't like the sound of that, and it is one reason to go for one of the Axminster's which as far as I know have rubber conveyor belts.

Cheers

Mike

Just bumping it up incase an owner/user has not seen my original questions and the ones just above this up :wink:

You know what its like, this is a lot of money to spend and I want to get the best value for money that I can.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3v2jwedu said:
this is a lot of money to spend and I want to get the best value for money that I can.

Cheers

Mike

Tell you what Mike... and I wouldn't put myself out like this for just anyone but, as it's you.
Send me the money and I'll buy and test the Tools on your behalf, just to make sure they're up to the job.
A good, long term, totally thorough testing will be carried out and I will of course keep you constantly updated.

:lol:

Back