Jet JWL1014VS-M weight limit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit to the weight of a piece of wood you can safely use on my lathe? I've looked in the manual and tried a search on here but can not find anything. Is it the common sense route - motor turns the piece fairly easily, clears the bed and fits between centres?

thanks
Gary

I doubt you can mount any piece of wood on the lathe that will fit between the normal fixings and tool rests that would be dense enough to be a weight it can't handle as far as mechanical strength is concerned, more significant would be the ability to balance the piece, either by trimming it or fixing weights to a face plate so that it does not cause significant off centre stress to the lathes components. Long heavy pieces obviously need care in ensuring end fixings are adequate.
I have been known to use a power planner to knock the corners off a piece until it was reasonably balanced before spinning it up.
DSC01006[1].jpg

Attachments

• DSC01006[1].jpg
    DSC01006[1].jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 660
Thanks guys, it felt real heavy, but once mounted turned (with my finger) quite easily. Thanks Phil, thanks CHJ

Gary

Latest posts

Back