Japanese Stool (Inspired by Adam) WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the most influential pieces I have seen on this forum was a Japanese Stool created by Adam a few years back. I love Japanese art and furniture and I liked Adam's modern take on a classic design. Since carving a walnut bowl with Waterhead37 a couple of years back, I have been desperate to do some more carvey shapey work. The workshop is at the stage now that I can get on an actually do some woodworking, so I gave myself a kick up the butt and made a start.

So here is my take on Adam's stool:

jstool.jpg

Yep, it's fairly similar. The seat is Ash and the legs will be Ash and either Walnut or Yellow Balau. I am going to have a play with the LN Dowel plate for the slats.

To shape the seat I would have preferred to use the bandsaw but it doesn't cut that deep. I considered carving it from square but got nervous. So I used Adam's idea of graduating saw kerfs.

DSC_0020.JPG

My only tweak was to make a cut every 5mm which resulted in thinner material to chisel away.

DSC_0023.JPG

I left 10mm of wood at either end to support the board later when I turn it over to work.

DSC_0025.JPG

One half done, so I turn it round, re-clamp it and go again.

DSC_0027.JPG

After I removed the bulk of the wood, I used a block plane and sur-form to remove the very high spots. My spokeshave is a bit too small for this work so I used chisels to work away at the raised sections.

DSC_0036.JPG

I moved on to cabinet scrapers and after a bit of practise started to get some good results. I need to remind myself the methods of sharpening scrapers. But I was getting some shavings towards the end. The seat top has a fair bit of work to go yet.

DSC_0047.JPG

I finished up by working out the angle of the legs. In the end I used the angle of a softwood dovetail marker. It seems to work well. I haven't fully worked out the joinery of the legs. I am considering through mortices, but not sure if I should drill out the mortices now while the underside is flat, or wait until it is fully shaped.

...and that's it for now. I can't do any of the leg work until my new P/T arrives in a couple of weeks. I will slowly work away at the seat shaping.

Adam: I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea :oops:

Looks good so far;the graduated saw kerf idea seems to work very well.How much time did it take ?

Andrew

A good couple hours. It's slow work and it's not easy on the Triton. Plus I don't have a depth gauge, so I had to improvise with a square, ruler and spring clamp :oops: :wink: A couple of the graduations where a bit too severe, which has left me with lots of scraping work to do. It's quite wasteful too, I filled up the Triton dustbag. Would also be better to use a blade which leaves a flat bottomed kerf. Gets the job done though.

yes you're probably right, but having never done it, scares me a bit. I'll have a go on the next one ;)

I understand. All I have ever bent was stuff less than 5mm thick. I would probably bend thinner stock off the same plank, but then you're back at the resawing issue that made you go the way of the saw kerfs initially.

Looking good Wizer. Have you seen the machine used in Wycombe to make chair seats (recent British Woodworking article)? It's like planer/surfacer but has a cambered blade on it.

The only other way I can think of to do this is to have a router fixed to some sort of pendulum. This idea sounds just as scary as a cambered blade on a planer.

Dave

No I didn't catch that article Dave. I have thought about the router on a pendulum idea and also arbortech. I definitely want to do more work like this, but better get on and finish this first ;)

Tom,

There are several ways of doing a seat of this kind. My preference is to use a sled for a router that runs on shaped side bearers. I still have one from some job I did that might be about the same sort of radius if you want to make another stool!

Thanks Chris I will keep that in mind. I did also consider that method. Adam's saw kerf method actually works very well and suited my burst of activity on that particular day.

Since this thread has stirred up a bit of interest, a quick update:

I have done a bit more smoothing of the top and it's nearly there. I have also knocked up a jig to get the angle of the mortices in the seat at 90 degrees for the drill press:

DSC_0062.JPG

My back has gone doo-lally again this week so i'm resting up in preparation for the P/T delivery this Friday. That will enable me to get the timber prepped for the legs.

Lots of fun in the workshop today with my new P/T. I managed to get the legs planed up ready for a contrasting wood to be joined. Trying to make my mind up between Walnut or Balau. I was intending to go for the Balau until I planed it up today and am not not sure if it is enough contrast?

DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG

What do you think?

Back