Japanese hand plane identification?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pekka Huhta

Established Member
Reaction score
I happened to come across a large lot of japanese antique planes. I am not sure of their age, but judging from the looks of the planes and the use they are from 30 years up to maybe 70-80. It’s hard to tell and the plane irons may be older than the plane blocks anyway.

Most of the irons had a stamped manufacturer’s mark, but one had a manually engraved or carved maker’s mark. Also the plane block had some text in it. The maker’s mark isn’t as elaborate or detailed as the finest for example at http://thejapanblade.com/archives.htm but in any case the hand engraved mark should be proof for a better quality plane.

I know that there are (and has been) a large amount of blacksmiths in Japan, but does anyone recognize the maker’s mark? Or, if you know where to ask, I would appreciate. I was about to ask the forum at http://japanesewoodworking.com/phpBB3/index.php , but they seem to be awfully quiet.

The plane is perfect. Even without any tuning or rehabbing except a quick sweep on a polishing stone it produced the best surface to pine that I have ever been able to achieve. It would be nice to know who has made it and when. It did not feel very old, I'd say 20-40 years.

Pekka

Attachments

• J-silisili.jpg
    J-silisili.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,485
  • j-teraleima.jpg
    j-teraleima.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,485
  • j-runkoleima.jpg
    j-runkoleima.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,485
You could PM Woodbloke for Michael Huntley's email - he's considered an expert on Japanese Tools?

Rod

Hi, I sent a copy of the middle photo of the blade to my wife (Japanese) and she's just replied saying...

"I think its reads Fukuju.
Meaning good fortune and long live"

Not sure about the one on the right, something to do with product/goods

Just noticed the kanji on the wooden body and my limited Japanese tells me it says 早川 (Hayakawa) which I think is
a family name .

Hope this helps.

Will check again tonight when we are both at home.

if you look at the maker's marks on the blades here you'll see that there are dozens...and all for just one make of plane. Multliply that by all the plane manufacturers and individual blacksmiths in Japan and I reckon you may well be on a 'hiding to nothing' to track down who made the iron in your plane...I'd just enjoy it for what it is and can do - Rob

The kanji on the right hand side just says 'trading product', but on the left hand side there looks to be some longer kanji that is hard to make out, the wife thinks that is the makers name. The writing on the wood was probably the owners name.

I don't have a clue what it says but I will say the figuring on that wood (red oak?) is absolutely stunning!

I have long since held a desire to own one of these planes....I particularly love the beautifully handmade irons just simply wedged in place...but I fear that this is just one slope too many....and a potentially expensive one at that.

I ventured into the world of Japanese chisels and saws but am making a pretty good attempt at avoiding their steep slopes...I think I am getting away with it so far...not sure...the jury's out on that one! :oops:

Jim

Jim, I bought a Jap smoother from Dicks when on special offer - not that expensive but perhaps a bit more than car boot ? :)

Rod

Thanks for your input. This was wat I thought: you can engrave pretty much what you like to the plane iron you are making. On the other hand I thought that as we have thousands and thousands of different stamps on the western plane irons and we keep a track of them, there might be some way to track Japanese stamps as well. Thinking that they all have a personal registered "hanko" (personal stamp) there probably must be a way to trace also a sigil on a hand plane iron.

But I think Rob's right. I'll enjoy the plane as it is, I was just curious of the age. Using it for the first time felt somehow... right. I'm not a religious or spiritual person at all, but it performed so beautifully that I felt that I should thank the man who forged the plane and whoever who used it ever since.

Well, I cleared out a shelf from my tool cabinet and am filling it with japanese tools. There is always a slope to some direction...

Pekka

P.S: Jim, if you are interested of Japanese planes I really do have plenty of them. Due to the language barrier I ended up buying a total of 81 planes from the gentleman. Some of them are still on their way on a train through Siberia, but there are plenty of them to choose from the ones that already have arrived... :D

Pekka Huhta":cqm2op7b said:
Due to the language barrier I ended up buying a total of 81 planes from the gentleman. Some of them are still on their way on a train through Siberia, but there are plenty of them to choose from the ones that already have arrived... :D

That's a wonderful excuse! I think it might be borrowed by some people round here who have 'accidentally' bought more tools than might be considered necessary!

I look forward to seeing some of them on the marketplace section if you need the space!

Back