Jacobs Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelly111s

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record drill press and I'm thinking of replacing the current Jacobs chuck with a keyless one. It's a MT2 one, so I guess there's plenty around. Anyone got any recommendations (even "don't do it")?
I don't use the drill press a lot, but when I do I often seem to need two or three bit sizes and it would be handier to have a keyless one.

I have a lot of pillar drills.....10 at the last count......
a few have keyless chucks....I did find them OK but even better now I bought a set of DeWalt drills with 3 flats machined onto the shanks......that's above 5mm diameter......
I have hundreds of drill bits and they are gradually getting the the same three flats milled on the shamks, when I get some time....
I even use these drill bits in the KEYED chuck but hand tight......
I do have a set of Cobalt drills with round shanks but they are kept for difficult and special jobs.....but always in a KEYED chuck or the milling machine....

I changed my drill press chuck to a cheap generic keyless chuck (Jacobs style) and I am very happy with it. I don't need super precision on the drill press but even saying that there is no visible run out. I got sick of using the chuck key after I switched to a high precision Jacobs brand Keyless on the lathe and wanted the same on the drill press (though not at the same price of course).

I've recently chosen a vertex keyless from Rotagrip in Birmingham.
Excellent service and great advice which I'll sum up here :
The Vertex keyless chucks are made for them by a Taiwanese manufacturer who have built a very good rep. under their own name in the USA.
Jacobs keyless are made for them by Porta, Italy.
Jacobs keyed are made in their own factory in China.

I have used a few bits of Vertex kit and have gained some trust in their quality control.
The new chuck is untested as I haven't finished restoring the drill but it looks and feels great.

Other chucks that I’ve seen recommended are from Myford and RGD Tools. Stocks are low at the moment though.

I had the Myford 1-16mm on a drill that I recently sold. I had always been pleased with it. Worked easily and held bits well. I have just bought the 1-13mm one from RDG tools and so far it looks good. It feels very solid. It is a little tighter than the Myford but not a problem amount. It also closes to near 0 despite advertised to 1mm so that is a bonus. I recon it will work with very small bits. Also was cheap £29.50 which for the quality and convenience I thought was very reasonable.

I have the R.P. DP25B and was thinking about the same thing.
I am not looking forward to removing the existing one as I have heard that it is not easy?
Please let us know if you find a suitable one and how it goes with the fitting.

@pryere
I've taken the current one out once. You need a decent metal drift to go in the slot above the morse taper (in the quill). A sharp tap did for me.

Back