JT3 chuck removal wedge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farlsborough

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get some? My Warco 2B12 has noticeable run-out at chuck and I suspect it’s related to the chuck itself or arbor/chuck seating. I had it doing some big holes with cheap hole cutters and it dragged the chuck off, suspect it might have some dirt in or something or the chuck is rogered.

I’m hoping that’s the case anyway as I don’t want to have to replace the spindle…

But want to get chuck off to check the chuck arbor with dial gauge first!

Please review this thread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...-sealy-gdm-50a-5-b-pillar-drill-drill.145679/
The same question was asked there less than a month ago.

UK sources for drill chuck removal wedges are few and far between.

Drill a small hole through the chuck body. You can hold the drill bit upside down in a vice. See if a punch through that hole will shift the arbor. If not, enlarge the hole to 5mm. Tap it M6. Fill with oil, screw in grease nipple and pump off the chuck with a grease gun.

Dip the arbor in a glass of crushed ice and let the temperature stabilise. Warm the chuck body quickly with a hot air gun. The differential expansion and some percussion might be enough for it to let go.

Ah, great, hadn’t seen that.

I mentioned it more because the info. therein would be current. It would not help you much referring to a thread from 1953. 99.5% of suppliers in any such thread would now be a housing estate.

As the chuck/arbor has been off recently it might be worth a quick try with a large flat blade screwdriver as a wedge or maybe 2 one from each side a gentle tap or two and with luck it might pop off.
edit just thought and depending on how much room between the chuck and machine body you might be able to wiggle a spanner in the gap and lever downwards

Last edited:
As per Bushwhacker, buy or make a drill drift. Lower the drill until the slot in the quill is exposed, insert drift until it contacts the top of the chuck Arbor, hold the chuck in your hand, and give the drift a smart whack with a hammer.
The chuck and Arbor will drop into your hand

Back