Jacking castors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a big startrite bandsaw (18-s-10) and while I've got it at work under surgery I want to fit a mobile base to it. Most of its work in my workshop will be cutting turning blanks so it'll be up against the wall, but I'd like to be able to pull it out for resawing. I like the look of the axminster mobile base that has fixed rear castors but I don't really need to buy the whole thing. Is there anywhere you can buy just the front castors that jack the machine up? My google skills are failing me.

Quite easy to make
levers are from Bob Minchin's design
This is version 2 of this design for me....
The only differences I made, was to put a nice bead on the underside of the lever
as the toe on my nice boot got sliced before.

Tom

Attachments

• SAM_0940.JPG
    SAM_0940.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 212
  • bandsaw compressed.JPG
    bandsaw compressed.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 212
I have the 14-S5 and I have mounted it on these castors http://www.bulldogcastors.co.uk/index.p ... =PB-EM1450 I got two braked and two un braked and fitted them diagonally. I just bolted them through the existing holes on the feet. They work very well, the saw glides across the floor easily ( I have a chipboard floor ) and when braked stays put even when I am pushing a big lump through.

Ttrees, do you have a link to bob's design? Looks like exactly what I'm after! My floor isn't perfectly smooth so I'd like to be able to sit it back down on the floor when its been moved. Ideal opportunity to get it fabbed up while its at work next to the welder!

Hi
You might find plans by Bob on thewoodhaven2
He also goes by the name 9fingers,

Thinking about it again I added some more contact surface to the underside of the levers 40mm box stock, as it was
dropping below 90 degrees when deppressed/activated which caused it to get stuck.
This along with the edge being sharpish contributed to the demise of my nice boot.

I can give you any pics you need or whatever

Good luck

I have a couple of the heavy duty Axminster bases and they work well if the weight is evenly distributed. If the weight of your bandsaw is high and offset like on my Jet JWBS-20Q then they will flex too much at the castor mounting plates to feel safe. Having tried both the Axminster and Jet heavy duty bases on the bandsaw I ended up fabricating my own base.

Rather than jacking the bandsaw up I made a base with adjustable levelling feet. Since taking this picture I have added handles to the feet so that it is easier to tighten them up sufficiently to stop the bandsaw wobbling on an uneven floor. The castors in the picture are 100mm heavy duty items from Screwfix - I would only recommend these if you want to fit four fixed castors to only allow the bandsaw to move back and forth. If you want swivel castors then I would recommend the 75mm diameter low level heavy duty Coldene castors (http://firstcastors.com/en/copy-of-supe ... tor-65mm25).

20170829_204230.jpg

Attachments

• 20170829_204230.jpg
    20170829_204230.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 169
OK here are the recovered pictures:

9fingers":164fd0tu said:
I've been working on this project for a few weekends now. I bought an axminster mobile base kit a few months back for my table saw and it is OK but frustrating in that it only has two castoring wheels which gives it only limited manoeverability.

I wanted a base with greater load capacity and four wheel castoring for my bandsaw and Jet jointer.
Img_0302.jpg~original

Img_0292.jpg~original

Wheels shown in the Up or Fixed position
Img_0293.jpg~original

Wheels down or Mobile position
Img_0294.jpg~original

The lifting castor mount design is a shameless copy of the Axminster one but modified so that it can be made from stock materials.
I used 50mm steel angle and 40, 50 and 60 mm square box section tube
All readily available from steel stock holders in yellow pages.
Img_0301.jpg~original

The castors are also standard items
Img_0298.jpg~original

The parts were all cut on the bandsaw which I modified by making new pulleys to drop the speed down from wood cutting speeds to much slower metal cutting speeds. I bought a metal blade from Dragon Saws.
The rounded corners and smooth edges were done on a nutool 1" linisher.
Img_0295.jpg~original

Img_0296.jpg~original

Img_0297.jpg~original

Note the foot lever has a cam profile with the curved edge having a changing radius from the pivot hole.

The parts are assembled as shown using M8 x 70mm socket cap bolts.
Img_0299.jpg~original

Img_0300.jpg~original

The item shown is one of a pair of loose units going to be bolted onto the Axminster base to give it 4 castoring wheels.
The others were welded directly onto the angle iron frame.
The final task was to fit 'elephants foot' adjustable feet which can be seen in the first few pictures. When in use, the machines rest on these feet for stability.

If anyone want more details then I have Visio drawings showing the critical dimensions and an excel spreadsheet wth cam data - PM me with a direct email address for the files if you want more info.

Bob

UPDATE: 25-02-11

The original files for this project have been lost in computer moves. However there has been some recent interest so I have done some drawings based on the parts I made. These can be found here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... ring_feet/

HTH

Bob

Further update NTL closed my webspace so the link above does not work. I may or may not be able to find the files on old computer discs

Bob

OK Folks, I launched a file search on my back up server and within a few minutes, it found the drawings.

See backups are worth doing! even after ten years

Anyone who wants a pdf copy, please email me at [email protected]

Bob

PM winging its way to you Bob! Really appreciate it.
Tom

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TFrench":1vr5rdu4 said:
PM winging its way to you Bob! Really appreciate it.
Tom

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Drawings sent this morning Tom. Hope you got them OK. Check spam folder if they are missing.

Bob

Myfordman":22qdqorj said:
OK Folks, I launched a file search on my back up server and within a few minutes, it found the drawings.

Bob

Dependant on the File size it may be possible to attach a PDF to the Post.

CHJ":qzqn2g9m said:
Myfordman":qzqn2g9m said:

Bob

Dependant on the File size it may be possible to attach a PDF to the Post.

Thanks Chas,
I've now converted them to jpg and attached then to the end of the original thread. custom-made-mobile-bases-t17861.html
Hope fully these plus recovering the photos from photophuket has now made some sense of my thread from 2007 and will help readers use the ideas therein.
Bob

Back