Is this normal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadboog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Its been a long while since I've posted. Something seems to have been happening to me - by brow seems to be recessing, I've resorted to grunting and despite balding my beard seems to be growing wildly.

It all started a while back when I was stalking car boots to find a few hand tools to restore but its been getting worse. I've abandoned my circular saw and my router is growing rust...

More and more I find myself sitting on the sofa with a rasp, file and sandpaper shaping and smoothing with no power in sight.

Now I find myself inexplicably buying things like this:

Hardwoods.jpg

And obsessing about learning to make things like this:

Tools.jpg

And then, like something deep inside me craved a cutting tool better than a stone club, this arrived yesterday:

Steel.jpg

I've just got one question - is this normal?

Attachments

• Hardwoods.jpg
    Hardwoods.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 1,617
  • Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,617
  • Steel.jpg
    Steel.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,617
I understand that it's a highly infection and very contagious infection affecting primarily the male of the species, however can and does transfer to the female who seem to have a higher genetic immunity. There is no known cure, and sufferes are best treated by allowing them to indulge the terets type symptoms of unexpected purchases, odd behaviours with sharp implements and a facination with caressing natural substances.

I have been afflicted for a few years now, however a very understanding and caring wife has I've found been a great asset in managing the symptoms. I've joined a few self help groups like UKworkshop and can now openly accept and state that 'my names John and I'm a woodworker' which was a big step forward in coming to terms with my affliction. The odd looks and behaviour of people when they find out, especially when they feel the need to drag me to their houses and show me broken wooden objects is very difficult. I've tried to explain that giving alcohol to an alcoholic is not a treatment. I find that close friends and relations are the worst, they seem to feel that the best form of cure is to invite my wife around to their houses and suggest she brings me a long, and in a very caring way suggest that They understand my needs and have a door, window, that I can work on for therapy. I've found that this only exacerbates the condition, worse still my wife refuses to accept any beer tokens from friends and relatives as she says it's all part of my theropy

I'm not at the hair loss stage yet, but I believe this is a secondary symptom very common but not always an affliction that affects all sufferes.

I have to say my journey is of simmilar pattern. Cut throat shaving, sharepening and honing, collecting sharpening stones, wantink to make boxes for them, starting woodworking, trying to renovate old tools for the job and already thinking how to make new ones, making den in the garden, installing woodworking vice on the study table in the house, moving den to the house with excuse of being too cold.
Fortunately this coincides nicely with my wife's plan and I am so far left alone.
Cheers to our undertanding wifes.

To Paddy. Why dont you move the sofa to your den?

Yup, happening to me too. Just bought a No 6 to restore off ebay last night and have a Krenov style convex sole plane as a WIP.

It is a great shame MAC Timbers is closing. Events like their open days, or the APTGW bodgers ball provide the respite needed. For a couple of hours or maybe a whole weekend spent in that kind of company, we can for once feel almost completely normal :lol:

Sheffield Tony":1kxx6btf said:
It is a great shame MAC Timbers is closing. Events like their open days, or the APTGW bodgers ball provide the respite needed. For a couple of hours or maybe a whole weekend spent in that kind of company, we can for once feel almost completely normal :lol:

In days of yor we held ukworkshop bashes at members homes
Size and distance limited of course

Thanks for the support fellas, I'll get through this strange affliction somehow.

Deema - I laughed out loud at your reply - great stuff.

I echo the comments about needing to be around my fellow obsessives. I tried to drum up some interest in South Wales a few years back to no avail (calling-all-cardiff-and-south-wales-woodworkers-t47033.html). The offer remains open!

Paddy , if you have or can acquire a BBQ apron and just slip the neck strap over your head , objections about messes can be countered. I wittle , rasp , file ,spokeshave and sharpen on my sofa while Doctor Who is on. When done I gather the bottom edge then the sides of apron and then slip the loop over my head to make an easy to move packet.Wife rolls her eyes some , but seems to accept the effort at controlling the work area as sufficient to not go ballistic. Mind you , she has had considerable experience in dealing with my condition and has come to accept me as a package, even manages to chuckle a bit discussing with friends.

It takes different forms. I started much like most others, accumulating lots of relatively cheap handtools but then it mutated into something arguably more serious. Despite not being a wealthy man I have become increasingly drawn to EXPENSIVE hand tools, to the point where i have more obscenely expensive hand planes than I feel able to confess to, although far from a full set. On the other hand, I do sometimes sell lesser planes and don't buy anything I won't use - well, not often anyway, so I can't be a collector, can I? None of this is helped by the fact that I have an indulgent wife who has actually bought some of these things for me.

Feel free to sympathise.

Jim

Jim, I am envious of course. As a man whose wife sees little value in anything other than a bargain, I've made the decision 'if you can't buy them, make them.' I'll post my toolmaking progress for anyone who may have an interest.

Going by the saw handle in the original post I think I speak for everyone when I say

"Please share, we love hand tools on here"

What is normal ? Sounds boring/average.

jadboog":vdv81vte said:
Jim, I am envious of course. As a man whose wife sees little value in anything other than a bargain, I've made the decision 'if you can't buy them, make them.' I'll post my toolmaking progress for anyone who may have an interest.

I really admire people who are prepared to commit the time and energy required to do this. Perhaps if I were younger I might do it myself but my real passion is designing and making furniture and there is far more that I want to do than years I realistically have left to do it in, which is one of the reasons why I gave ap refurbing old tools, satisfying though that was. But I think the most important thing is that there are any number of ways In which woodworking can be enjoyed; all equally valid. I thoroughly enjoy Wallace's threads about restoring old Wadkins but I certainly wouldn,t want to do it myself, so I'm really looking forwward to your first (?) toolmaking thread.

Jim

Jadboog, Where did you get your saw steel and how much did it cost? I've been wanting to make a saw for some time and you may have pushed me over the edge.
Paddy

Mr_P / Jim,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I've got an entire day tomorrow to make a prototype - I'll take a few snaps as I go along and start a new thread.

hi jadboog. I would definitely like to take you up on your generous offer. I want to make a 14" tenon saw first as this is the one that is missing from my kit. I haven't entirely thought this through but I reckon a 3 1/2" cut would be ideal so I would want 14" by 4" to allow for the portion lost on the brass back. If you can spare this that would be fantastic.
Paddy

Paddy Roxburgh":29cc1lz2 said:
hi jadboog. I would definitely like to take you up on your generous offer. I want to make a 14" tenon saw first as this is the one that is missing from my kit. I haven't entirely thought this through but I reckon a 3 1/2" cut would be ideal so I would want 14" by 4" to allow for the portion lost on the brass back. If you can spare this that would be fantastic.
Paddy

PM sent.

Latest posts

Back