Is this any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Startrite 275 is a reliable solid saw. Couple of points from what can see in photos/description
There is no cross cut fence. Not the end of teh world as you can make 1 from an aluminium box section
No riving knife or crown guard. Can be bought or made. Dont operate without
Saws of that age had the outrigger/slide bars. I found them a pain and kept banging int them (they are at just the wrong height). The long bar end can usually be unscrewed and the short piece of bar shown on the table screwed on instead. This limits the crosscut capacity but much more user friendly and very quick to swap over
2.2kw motor will generally not start on a 13 amp plug fuse so check that out
Dust extraction was never a priority on this vintage of saw so be prepared to do some creative engineering
In general if properly maintained, will last a lifetime and more

Last edited:
As @Hornbeam said, looks good to me, NB it’s a three phase motor.
My saw has the sticking out rails and I put big lumps of pipe insulation on the ends to reduce the pain!
Old Startrite equipment lasts almost forever. Ian

Looking at this on eBay.
Looks like it's missing some fences ect...

First table saw?
Any good?

Used Tablesaw 240v | eBay

Am in Cornwall and find it's hard to find local items for sale ..

Thanks Luke
As others have said a great looking saw. It is single phase as per description, ignor the three phase label. The sliding bed is great, but will take lots of space, if you don’t have the space you may find you never use it.

Belts are knackered, but that’s minor.

Expect the sale price will jump a lot before the time is up, similar saws have sold 600-1400 lately on eBay.

As @Hornbeam said, looks good to me, NB it’s a three phase motor.
My saw has the sticking out rails and I put big lumps of pipe insulation on the ends to reduce the pain!
Old Startrite equipment lasts almost forever. Ian
looking at the photo of the motor, it is clearly a single phase capacitor start and run type.

Looks a good one depending on details and a closer look

My one is three phase, and has a dual voltage 3hp/2.2kw (see 240 on the motor nameplate)
Runs no bother on a 13a plug using a hundred quid VFD/inverter.
Why I got it?
Riving knife, made me own with some 3mm stainless steel.
Dual voltage 3hp motor, as I only have 13a household plugs, not that you can't derate motors on some VFD's.
Deep slots on either side of the blade.
Left tilting arbor cuts away from the fence, there are non tilt-able bladed machines out there.
As deep a cut as you will get for a 12" blade.
Nice deep pocket for making zero clearance inserts, some are very shallow and inserts may need be to be fancier and still likely not as nice.
Small enough to get into a wee hatchback, might not be the same for a Sedgewick.
My one has a sliding table too.

Bad points,
Only a single trunnion.
I seem to have noticed when at 45 the blade isn't parallel with the fence, still cuts though, and I guess there is a simpleish fix for that.
My fence needs a bit of an overhaul as it slips, likely a nut is worn or something simple.
Quite deceptive, as it can be tight for a while and then nothing.

Those things are small beans in the grand scheme of things, and a few things I mentioned previously would be a bigger issue in my eyes..
I think the Wadkins have the double trunnions.
It was an old Startrite or a Wadkin for me, and the Startrites are cheaper and more plentyful.

Further penny pinching in some newer saws would make me nervous about warped tops, and would seem risky to be getting a new machine without fault for the same money.

580 sounds a bit steep, seeing as the supply of new equipment is likely back to normal,
but how long you want to wait for a tablesaw, table saw, circular saw, bench saw, cabinet saw, and so on.
There is likely a nicer one will show up soon for that money, but you could get it for cheaper than that, one here salvaged one what was going to the tip!
You would likely pay more for a single phase powered machine though.
SAM_4033.JPG

Ttrees. Yours works on a 13amp plug because you are driving it through an inverter which effectively gives it a soft start. A single phase 3hp motor draws 6 to 8 times flc so around 40 plus amps. It is only for a very short time and when running is pulling around 8 amps (approx 4 amps to 1kW)

I bought an evolution Rage 5s recently. It's an awesome machine with a standard blade which will cut almost anything. Its portable but stable. You can buy a fine wood blade for about £40.
Free delivery within a couple of days too.
Having used a few table saws of varying price and quality, this has been the best so far.
Although a cast iron saw table has obvious benefits. I wouldn't change this now.
The after sales service has been great too.
https://shop.evolutionpowertools.co...UKAoUhGOKZAz9lP4o9d3rPN2G2PfjeuIaArYJEALw_wcB

Looking at this on eBay.
Looks like it's missing some fences ect...

First table saw?
Any good?

Used Tablesaw 240v | eBay

Am in Cornwall and find it's hard to find local items for sale ..

Thanks Luke
Why not make the first table saw one that will last for a very long time? I bought a Makita 2704 after checking around, and have long ago forgot what I paid (well, not really, it was 7000 Norwegian kroner), but the quality is outstanding. It cuts 4" oak like butter, dead straight, and I can cut blades for butter knives down to 3 mm thick without problems. The max depth of cut is really 95 mm, not quite 4". Made a new riving knife that is just as high as the blade so I can cut material up to 190 mm, as it will be straighter than on the bandsaw.
So why 'save' a little bit when price is soon forgotten, but the joy of quality lingers?
Just to show the saw: Makita 2704N 240v 260mm Table Saw

Back