Is this African Blackwood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it is likely to be African Blackwood. It would be difficult to tell the various Dalbergia (Tulipwood, rosewood(s), Kingwood, Af.Blackwood), strains apart without end grain microscope view.

Does it have a smell when you plan or sand it? I had a piece of unidentified an the most useful characteristic was the smell when you worked it. Blackwood is also said to have a distinctive smell.

Only small, but this is blackwood.
IMG0054A.jpg

I cannot say that there is a strong smell coming from the wood or the shavings at all. The pictures I took do show the wood lighter than it actually is, but having said that, the wood is not black, but has black streaks in it, it’s more very dark brown, with hints of purple. Having looked at the wood database (wood-database.com), it looks to be one of the rosewood variants, but impossible for me to tell which one.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Dirk

It's called Blacksplitshakeduselesswood from County Crapwood, Rubbishia. Best place for it is the skip...OMG!

Have you tested if it does sink in water, could your specific gravity calculation be out ?

It definitely sinks in water, the log is 11kg, and the volume is just under 10 litres, so much heavier than water.

There's not many timbers at that weight and several of those are distinct black ,red or green. So of the brown dense woods my guess would be Ipe which has the right end grain look and isn't that uncommon imported into the UK ,though it could be one of the acacias which are known to check a bit when dried but don't get imported much.

YGIAGAM = Your Guess Is As Good As Mine.
They probably decided as it has got more shakes than a lambs tail, that trying to process it would be problematic at best.
Yes - probably true. I tend to be slightly optimistic and try to process shaky wood and cover up its faults, so long as I'm not aiming to make something too structural!

Back