Hard and Exotic wood suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I joined this forum/site late last year and enjoy reading the various topics published by members. I'm struggling though! I'm 67 and not sure where I'm supposed to ask a question, so forgive me if this is the wrong place. I haven't lived in Gloucestershire for very long and although I use the local mill's that cater mainly for the building trade I'm trying to identify suppliers of hard & exotic woods. I'm going to visit one place that has been recommended to me in Cardiff (1 1/2 hours drive) and wondered if anyone knows of somewhere closer?
By all means, if I've asked this in the wrong place please advise...
Thanks

Nick’s timber in Gloucester used to be able to source most stuff.

Out of interest what’s the place in Cardiff?

For local hardwoods go to Vasterns at Wooton Bassett near Swindon. I'm afraid you won't find any exotics in Glos, but there is Timbmet near Faringdon. Their branch at Stonehouse is THE place for sheet materials.
Nicks in Gloucester only sell softwood.
Brian

It seems to be a bit of a problem everywhere.
In a country like Aus, where there are just so many exotic hardwoods, it is really hard to find a source.
For truly exotic woods, I am having to go on line - mostly from Tasmania.

For local hardwoods go to Vasterns at Wooton Bassett near Swindon. I'm afraid you won't find any exotics in Glos, but there is Timbmet near Faringdon. Their branch at Stonehouse is THE place for sheet materials.
Nicks in Gloucester only sell softwood.
Brian
That’s a shame, they didn’t used to stock it but would be able to order in, had a book under the counter with prices.

Try Tyler hardwoods near Hungerford, good range of timber and helpful people.

Timbmet do a good range of Hardwoods but it's not a wander about and choose a board place, more like buy a M3 at a time.

@Yojevol has mentioned Vastern, they actually have 2 yards, one is near Calne.
I find them expensive and I once went there to look at some flooring ( at wooton basset ) and they were so uninterested and sort of dismissive. I just decided to spend my few grand somewhere else.

Oh yeah, there is interesting timbers near Bath.

Ollie

Nick’s timber in Gloucester used to be able to source most stuff.

Out of interest what’s the place in Cardiff?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The supplier I mentioned in Wales is in fact in Newport
The Craft Units
Tredegar House
Newport,
NP10 8TW
I was speaking to a friend a few weeks ago who sent me some addresses and sure one of them was in Cardiff. I've written to him and if there is one there in fact I'll send it. I'm really pleased with the number of replies with local suppliers. I bought all the materials from Nicks Timber to build my workshop and didn't realise they had stocks of hardwoods. I'll go and see what they have. Thanks again.
Terry

Searching for exotics on ebay can be fruitful.
Not the best place to look - when sellers describe the offering as 'Cocobolo (Rosewood)' (as many do) they are being disingenuous in an attempt to persuade you that you are being offered 'Brasilian Rosewood' (Dalbergia Nigra) which is the 'king' of the Dalbergia species - and is now un-available (Cites).

The fact that some also confuse the description further by adding 'Sandlewood' is also a major concern. Sandlewood is a totally diferent sepecie of the genus Santalum.

Cocobolo is a beautiful timber in its own right - there is no need to confuse it with any of the other Dalbergia variants - except to extract a premium price!

Isca is one I have used a lot in the past but is best for smaller jobs. Whitney should be worth looking up. Nothing much else that I know of in the Cardiff region. Cracking saw mill on the Hereford road out of Hay on Wye if you fancy a run out

Wentwood is good but for local timbers rather than exotics, usually a good mix of ash, oak, beech etc. some big cedar of Lebanon slabs at the moment too

Latest posts

Back