is there any point to a woodrat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

An odd title for sure.

I have a Woodrat and think it is a very good, although very over-priced piece of kit. As a joint cutter, it is superb.

However, I have recently noticed that the rat just doesn't get used.

It sits there on the wall doing nothing. I suspect part of the reason is that without a jig or two, it is limited to pieces of wood held vertically in the clamps and at the end of the day, I would rather slot, dado, trench, profile wood on the router table as it is quicker and easier.

So far this year, I have used the router tableaend hand-held routers maybe two dozen times each, and the woodrat only once - and that was a job I could have done as easily with the hand-held router.

I like using the rat, but just don't seem to.

So I wondered how much use other people's woodrats get? Am I the exception?

For various box and case - joints all the time. With the new MR3, I'm getting into the swing of things with Mortice and Tenon also. It's really just part of the system I use and complements the Router Table / Table Saw / Morticer and the rest of the machinery.

Tony":wm9fr7i5 said:
I suspect part of the reason is that without a jig or two, it is limited to pieces of wood held vertically in the clamps and at the end of the day, I would rather slot, dado, trench, profile wood on the router table as it is quicker and easier.

So you haven't made a little horizontal table for it yet?

Adam

I've not been able to do any woodworking recently due to home improvements

but my last couple of projects including a cot with 90 M/T I used the rat a lot

Ian

I use it more than the router table - maybe because I don't have a router table. I think I've boringly said this somewhere before, but if you're used to the staid old world of router tables then you won't necessarily get the most out of the 'Rat. It needs fresh thinking. Oh, and a little table. And one of Aldel's clamps. And a mortise rail. And unswerving dedication and loyalty... If it gets to hear you've doubted it in public like this, you're in real trouble. Mine has never quite forgiven me for threatening to sell it. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

LyNx":11bxp65m said:
how much you selling it for then Tony :wink:

You wish :lol: :wink:

It really is a very impressive tool and I am surprised that I don't use it all the time :?

Alf":24g9ie9e said:
I use it more than the router table - maybe because I don't have a router table. I think I've boringly said this somewhere before, but if you're used to the staid old world of router tables then you won't necessarily get the most out of the 'Rat. It needs fresh thinking. Oh, and a little table. And one of Aldel's clamps. And a mortise rail. And unswerving dedication and loyalty... If it gets to hear you've doubted it in public like this, you're in real trouble. Mine has never quite forgiven me for threatening to sell it. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I have made some new clamp jaws out of aluminium (similar to Aldels - I seem to have come up with the same idea around the same time) and it clamps much better. I also made the little horizontal mortise rail that allows stuff to be clamped to it.
I haven't really been happy about mounting wood under the tool and above the clamp jaws though, and this may be why the table gets more use. I think some experimentation and practice and possibly a little table are required

When I use it, I love it, just need to look for ways to use it more I guess :D

By the way, this is not an advertisement for a cheap rat - I love mine (when I use it) :wink: :lol:

I use my Rat, in my professional role, a lot. I find it particularly useful for replacing broken tenons in chairs and tables. It's areal quick and easy way of creating a floating tenon. I just glue one side in with Titebond and then trim up the other to suit the original mortise and glue that with hide glue.
I also use it to layout and rout rough dovetails (both through and stopped) and then trim up with handtools.

I find you need to be very careful using it to mould edges etc. as it's too easy to follow through a peice with your hands straight into the cutter. Doesn't seem to happen with router tables as you can see everything.

Tenons are also nice and easy, once you've invested the time in setting up a block and using the stop.

I think I know what the problem is Tony - You have too many lovely tools!!!!! :lol:
A few jigs (see Aldels site for pretty much all of them!!!) make the Rat useful for any joint you could think of. The table gets used for lengths of moulding in my shop - thats about all.
Cheers
Philly :D

Tony, you obviously never got round to modifying yours to do away with removing the rails and fitting the button for dovetail pin cutting then. :lol: Before I did this I was a bit like you, used it vary rarely but but was really glad I had it when I did. Now because I cut all my dovetails with it (even if I handcut them I still rough out the waste for the pins on the 'Rat) I find I am using it more and more. I don't use my dedicated morticer much now, preferring to cut them on the woodrat.

don't say that, I was just persuading myself to buy one! :? :wink:

Tony wrote
I have a Woodrat and think it is a very good, although very over-priced piece of kit.
I'm new to the world of ratting. I bought mine as a dovetail jointer as opposed to the Leigh, and I think the two are comparable in price if you consider that you have to buy different templates for the Leigh.
Axminster has the cost of the Leigh at 360 ukp plus 220 for the finger joint template, costing 580ukp, by my calculations. This compares to the WR which costs only 490 ukp. Both of course will need a router and decent cutters for decent results.
My first impressions of the Rat are that it is a fantastically clever piece of kit, and even with my woefully poor skills, I can get pleasing results. I've learned to cut through dovetails, half blind dovetails, box joints and sliding dovetails in just a couple of days.
And that's the point for me; I can get results which are very pleasing, in a short amount of time. Well worth the money.

I don't have any router based joint cutting jigs of any sort and have never really seen the need for them. I've worked in a couple of professional shops that had 'rats' and it was just a piece of kit that collected dust, other and quicker ways to achieve similar results - Rob

when i first thought about a rat i was told it was a replacement for a table,(not by martin and his team but others) since it actually did more, and with more control.

not sure if that is true, but if you buy the rat before making/buying a table, you will use it more. as alf says :?

in pro shops i am minded that there is not really enough time to learn how to use it properly and profitably, so unless they are prepared to arrange for training time, it will probably gather dust.

seems to me that martin started a new trend, but forgot to show us all how to follow him along. :lol: :twisted:

paul :wink:

You're right there Paul. It takes the initial effort, but once learned - it's irreplaceable. The several shops that I know have it, use it A LOT! As any other expensive piece of equipment, it has to be wanted to be used and not the other way around. I've seen numerous LN and LV Planes covered in rust in some places! Each to their own hobby (and business) style ........

engineer one":1sx3267l said:
in pro shops i am minded that there is not really enough time to learn how to use it properly and profitably, so unless they are prepared to arrange for training time, it will probably gather dust
It also depends on your level of equipment. I can see it having a use in a small cabinetmakers' or restorers' shop, however once you've got a spindle moulder, mortiser and tenoner the need for a Woodrat just about vanishes. In general terms I also have doubts as to its durability as a trade machine. And lest anyone accuse me of bias, I'm an ex-Woodrat owner

Scrit

Back