is the ts200 useless for anything slightly bigger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcjwebb

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys, want some opinion here,

but looking at building a workstatoin for my ts200 but want peoples opinions weather or not the motor in this thing is really worth it, doesnt seem very powerfull at all.

can the motor be upgraded? is there anyway that i could increase its torque and power? on a small budget and trying to work with what i have. i dont have a big budget for a bigger saw but generally impressed with the what has been able to do so far. just want to be able to rip 3 maybe even 4ft against a fence that nice and solid.

any thoughts?

Kind Regards

Marc

Slightly bigger than what? I don't understand.

Although I've never owned one, I have set one up from scratch ad it seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable machine at its price point. It may well need some fettling, but it should do what it says on the tin, if it is set up properly and you are using an appropriate blade for the job.

Changed the blade recently for a 64t blade for a nicer cut. Am waiting on a new drive belt as the current one seems to slip and start riding against the side. But that's just a new issue and is on the way to being sorted. When I say something bigger. I mean like a sip 01332 or something similar. I need to be able to rip 18mm MFC hence the 64t blade. Ideally want to be able to have a rip fence able to go 4ft from the blade

Have looked into track saws but from what I see the cut quality is far from a table saw.

I am making cabinets effectively. Well. Vivariums for reptiles with MFC

why not speak to festool and have a free demo doing the tasks you would want to do on the material you are using?

It has a chip breaker on the outside and a Plastic strip on the track that supports the work under the track. I have cut white melamine with it with no break out.

A ts200 has no scribe blade so you will get blow out on the bottom. a track saw will have no blow out on the bottom and none to minimal if its sharp and u protect the splinter guards.

rdesign":2221g9o3 said:
the cut quality is far superior than a table saw!
... well that rather depends on the which table saw and what blade and whether it has a scoring blade or not.

Hello,

a plywood breakthrough table insert and a fine blade on a TS will give chip free cuts. Tracksaws are good, but I seem to recall working with a TS for years before their introduction and getting superior results! The better quality tracksaws are hardly budget machines, are they? Motor power has no bearing on cut width, just depth, so make your worksation to cut wide MFC boards if this is what you want. I would say you'll need to make sure the fence is rigid and deflection proof, though. heavier panels put more strain on fences.

Mike.

To the OP

I understand the need for the table saw.
Its quicker to saw down the sheets goods in your circumstances accurately and with repeatable accuracy than a track saw.
However your saw will not leave splinter free cuts on one side no matter what blade you use.

Even if you were to try and run the board backwards over the lowered blade before cutting through you are going to get a bit of tear out.
A zero clearance insert around the blade will help but not eliminate the breakout in MFC boards and a 64t blade isn't really fine enough either for MFC
You will notice a difference in the cut quality very quickly.

Most of the good track saws will leave you with an acceptable finish .( cant speak for the lidl/Aldi one as I failed to get one lol) So your options are either get a saw with a scoring attachment or use a track saw
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. If you have the room and enough work coming in then a panel saw could possibly be your best option

rdesign":lk9ewtbv said:
A ts200 has no scribe blade so you will get blow out on the bottom. a track saw will have no blow out on the bottom and none to minimal if its sharp and u protect the splinter guards.
Not sure it is as clear as that.

With a zero clearance insert I'd say they is marginally less tearout on my TS200 than my Dewalt tracksaw - particularly on cross cutting a veneered surface.

In my experience, simply taping up the cut line you are making is one of the best ways to avoid tearout regardless of the method...

Marcjwebb":grnpimlz said:
Have looked into track saws but from what I see the cut quality is far from a table saw.

I am making cabinets effectively. Well. Vivariums for reptiles with MFC

I agree. The cut quality of the Festool track saw is far-out from most table-saws. Inasmuch as it's well-superior, and a lot safer too. IMHO 8)

At the end of the day, track-saw or table-saw, you still need room to manhandle 8 x 4s. You can use a track-saw outside too! :mrgreen:

Back