Table Saw Advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for a belt driven saw with a separate arbor. The cheap Chinese saws mount the blade directly on the motor shaft and that's never going to be accurate. There are ways around everything in woodworking. I mostly make furniture and use loose tenons as I'm too tight to mill away good wood for real tenons.😬 You don't need a Domino -- have a look at the Beadlock system sold by Rockler in the US. You can make loose tenons on your router table for pennies.

Look for a belt driven saw with a separate arbor. The cheap Chinese saws mount the blade directly on the motor shaft and that's never going to be accurate. There are ways around everything in woodworking. I mostly make furniture and use loose tenons as I'm too tight to mill away good wood for real tenons.😬 You don't need a Domino -- have a look at the Beadlock system sold by Rockler in the US. You can make loose tenons on your router table for pennies.

I like the sound of that, as I like to join things together properly, but dust is a huge problem in my small workshop! I'm about to make a workbench to mount a saw in, I'm about to set up my miter saw to cut some notches out for 2x3 s and I know by the time I'm done it'll be covered in saw dust out there.

I was going to buy some thinner stock and just piece it all together creating notches as I go but they didnt have the timber I wanted at the shop.

Dominos look awesome, but I'm trying to woodwork on a budget

I like the sound of that, as I like to join things together properly, but dust is a huge problem in my small workshop! I'm about to make a workbench to mount a saw in, I'm about to set up my miter saw to cut some notches out for 2x3 s and I know by the time I'm done it'll be covered in saw dust out there.

I was going to buy some thinner stock and just piece it all together creating notches as I go but they didnt have the timber I wanted at the shop.

Dominos look awesome, but I'm trying to woodwork on a budget

Nothing beats an automated vacuum for a miter saw. The saw switch triggers the vacuum. They are a bit pricey but it saves you firing up a normal vacuum every time you make a cut.

Nothing beats an automated vacuum for a miter saw. The saw switch triggers the vacuum. They are a bit pricey but it saves you firing up a normal vacuum every time you make a cut.
Its a bog standard lumber jack double bevel thingy, I really need to do some work on it to "improve" the situation.
Can you put a link to some info on the loose tenon joinery you told me about?

Its a bog standard lumber jack double bevel thingy, I really need to do some work on it to "improve" the situation.
Can you put a link to some info on the loose tenon joinery you told me about?
Umm........not good with computers. Go to www.rockler.com and look for beadlock. The 'Pro Kit ' a better buy - it will last a lifetime.

Thats a crazy website, cant ever imagine having the expendable income to buy some of them sparkly shiny looking things...

@Paul alan if you're at all mechanically minded (and I mean at all). Keep an eye out for second hand. You're 450 budget can pick you up a cast iron cabinet saw on ebay or gumtree etc. Of course these are significantly bigger and building them into your work bench would be different. I managed to get a Fox f36-529 10" cast iron cabinet saw for £80. It was in bad shape and failed to cut a test piece when I went to see it (which is why it was £80). But £100 on bearings a belt a new on and off swith and blade, a good amount of elbow grease and I have a really good saw. Much better than what I was initially looking at. It also has all the moving parts for the sliding table however some of the cast metal parts are smashed so I'll be building a new bed out of. Ply in the future once I move into my new home.

I suppose my point is, consider second hand. Some of the saws on there will be working long after we're all gone.

@Paul alan if you're at all mechanically minded (and I mean at all). Keep an eye out for second hand. You're 450 budget can pick you up a cast iron cabinet saw on ebay or gumtree etc. Of course these are significantly bigger and building them into your work bench would be different. I managed to get a Fox f36-529 10" cast iron cabinet saw for £80. It was in bad shape and failed to cut a test piece when I went to see it (which is why it was £80). But £100 on bearings a belt a new on and off swith and blade, a good amount of elbow grease and I have a really good saw. Much better than what I was initially looking at. It also has all the moving parts for the sliding table however some of the cast metal parts are smashed so I'll be building a new bed out of. Ply in the future once I move into my new home.

I suppose my point is, consider second hand. Some of the saws on there will be working long after we're all gone.
I managed to buy a second hand Bosch jts, I have built a large 6ft x 4ft table for this and when its delivered I will install it to the table and make a new fence and sled ( possibly large sliding table ) . I have considered the cabinet saw but at 100kg on average I don't want that kind of weight in my workshop as its built on soft ground and I'm being careful because of that.

I do realise the value of your advice and one thing I have learned in life is that things constantly evolve and I'm sure the Bosch wont be around forever, It's for me a solid starting point and cant wait to get it all up and running, functional, efficient and effective.

The spark is coming the morning and I will have power tomorrow, I simply cant wait!

I was looking at the bosch jts10j from axminster before I took the plunge on the cabinet saw. Axminster had the best price but no stock which pushed me to look for second hand. I lucked out on the Fox. I gave the guy £80 thinking the cast iron table was worth it and I could build around it, but then after dismantling and cleaning it I got it working well (within my tolerance).

What is your next project?

I was looking at the bosch jts10j from axminster before I took the plunge on the cabinet saw. Axminster had the best price but no stock which pushed me to look for second hand. I lucked out on the Fox. I gave the guy £80 thinking the cast iron table was worth it and I could build around it, but then after dismantling and cleaning it I got it working well (within my tolerance).

What is your next project?
My workshop is my current project, I'm going to learn a lot of stuff and challenge myself with building cabinets and drawers aiming for good standards. There's so much to learn! I've been mainly hand tool till now due to space constraints but I want to learn more about power tool.

I built some cabinets yesterday, had to do it with a track saw and they dint come out as good as I would have liked, never mind the next ones will be better!

Ill go take some pics...

I'm a hobbyist, no professional carpenter. I build for myself and occasionally family and friends if they request something. Each time I build something for a second time it's better than the first. That's where I get my enthusiasm, knowing I've learnt something from my imperfection.

I'm waiting to get a moving date so will be sorting out my new workspace soon. I'm like a kid at Christmas

I'm a hobbyist, no professional carpenter. I build for myself and occasionally family and friends if they request something. Each time I build something for a second time it's better than the first. That's where I get my enthusiasm, knowing I've learnt something from my imperfection.

I'm waiting to get a moving date so will be sorting out my new workspace soon. I'm like a kid at Christmas
You sound just like me, I'm truly in heaven right now. Ive been working in a 6x8 shed for 10 months and after a few revamps I got it to the point there I was happy there.

Then circumstances changed and I had the opportunity to build a 12x10 workshop and I wake each night thinking about the next step.

What kind of things do you like to make?

All sorts, I'm going to be building a standard double bed once I've moved along with a living room cabinet/bookcase. That will be my first real attempt it "fine" furniture.

I built a large rustic kitchen cupboard and shelving unit out of reclaimed scaffold boards, nothing special but sorted my storage issues and the missus was happy. I'll try and upload a pic if I can figure it out.

IMG_20200601_122904.jpg
IMG_20200601_122922.jpg

Mate I would be over the moon with that!
Aesthetic and functional, what other kinds of stuff do you make?

I went with the baby axminster saw:

https://www.axminstertools.com/eu/axminster-craft-ac216ts-216mm-table-saw-104926
It ticks all your boxes regarding accuracy and repeatability, and before the price hike was almost in your price range. They don't seem to have any stock at the moment in any case, but I can certainly recommend it. I also have it in in a ludicrously small space, and seem to (just about) cope.

That's also the one (oneof the ones!) that Badger Workshop bought, is it not?
Doesn't he have All the table saws??

I saw he has progressed to a bandsaw habit. Table Saws are just a gateway drug.

Last edited:
Back