Table saw advice advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkiki

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time post I am after some opinions from people.

I am nearly finished building my 4x2m workshop, I'm in the trade so have all the cordless powertools and a basic chopsaw.

I want to invest for long term in a table saw, budget £500ish (mainly plywood projects but want to be able to rip 3x2 down aswell) obviously I dont have a massive workshop so needs to be a more compact saw. My plan is to build everything modular so bench can be used as outfeed to ts or Cs etc

From reading alot of posts on here and yt videos the main points seem to be

-table flatness (cast iron ideally)
-fence quality

Atm I'm looking more towards the dewalt dwe7485 due to the fence, but feel like maybe your paying more for the fact its portable.

Or

The Craft AC216TS 216mm Table Saw due to the cast iron table and induction motor, reading some of the reviews though people say the fence isn't up to much...

I have also looked at the bosch and the ryobi aswell..

So what's peoples opinions, I am going to build a cabinet for it.
1) buy a half decent saw then invest in better fence and jigs?

2) go with something like the craft?

Any opinions welcome

Regards

Adam

The dw 7845 table saw is battery powered. why have battery power in a workshop?
The dw 745 is mains powered, easily portable if required, and has an amazingly good fence.
It is a cast alloy top, not iron, but is a very good saw that will handle anything up to half sheet size easily.

If you want to rip full 8 x 4 size, then its not the best for the job.

Hi thanks for the reply, sorry I meant the dwe7485 which is 240v

From research the dwe7485 compared to dw745 is the blade size but it does seem the smaller one has more rpms.

Due to the size of my workshop I would rip down sheets to 8x2 before anyway.

Have you had experience with the dewalt?

Thanks

I think the dw7485 is just the new version of the dw745 isn't it?

I have the 745. My "workshop" is only 3m x 5m. It will roll into a corner when not needed.
For my hobby work, I am very pleased with it. It will rip 2" thick bubinga hardwood, or 4 ft square ply sheets.
The fence adjusts out to 600 mm and is better than many dearer machines.

So I recently had a post debating more or less the same choice. In the end I got a great deal on a very lightly used Axminster TS250-m2 with sliding table. I’m really glad I did. It is so quiet, and the sliding table is a joy to use. The Dewalt is a fine tool, and the fence is great from what i gather but I live in a dense neighbourhood and the noise was a *very* big factor in my choice (also the price on the used tool was excellent).

Peptidoglycan you may be interested in this thread all about the modification I made to my TS250-2: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html gets a bit repetitive after page 10 and one guy on the thread does not even own one, but has to talk all about his unfinished rebuild of a TS200 and has done since 2014. #-o

Thanks! I definitely saw that thread and was part of my decision to make the purchase. I will be doing the big mouth adapter for sure. I just need to settle on my dust collection strategy (currently using a vac + mask, but will eventually get a bigger system) I kind of wish I could get ahold of the extension table for the saw, but I can build that when I need.

I bought my extension and sliding table off e-bay some time ago, you never know there may be some on there.

Thanks, I've been keeping an eye out. I'm not super hopeful given how long it's been since this saw was last sold at retail. Most likely these parts are being sold on as packages with existing saws. But who knows, maybe someone will blow a motor or something. (seems bad to wish misfortune on someone else...)

Back