Invasion of US Capitol building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think the chance is of having a dozen or 6 mentally ill individuals in a large protest group? I think it's pretty high. What percentage of the people in that group shot, murdered or threw molotov cocktails? Seems pretty low.

They breached the capitol, as protesters have done before. Some committed crimes beyond that, they'll be prosecuted. That's how the system works. It's a vocal minority, not an influential one.
Yes - police are being battered to death with fire extinguishers all over the place . It's just normal. I blame the fire extinguishers

Sure there were some mentally ill/unstable people, gullible fools, etc. The whole Q-Anon thing is a really effective hook for that sort of thing.

That can't be said for the many representatives of the US's far right and neo-nazi groups who were deeply involved in it.

..all over the place ....

you have strangely imprecise comments (intentional, of course). The police are faring a whole lot better so far than they have in BLM protests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_shooting_of_Dallas_police_officers
When it's time to actually shut things like this down (Which will occur here if the decision is made), take a look at conclusion of events in this article.

(in case you don't read far enough in the article, they sent a bomb disposal robot down a hall where the suspect was around the corner and blew him up. That leaves an interesting question - what is a police department doing with C4?).

Sure there were some mentally ill/unstable people, gullible fools, etc. The whole Q-Anon thing is a really effective hook for that sort of thing.

That can't be said for the many representatives of the US's far right and neo-nazi groups who were deeply involved in it.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but it's about the same mentality as we had with folks who really believed that we were going to have covert governmental cooperation with russia where russia is calling the shots and we're just puppets. The political center in this country will wake up if they have to - it's just noise at this point. Riddle me how many days this protest continued......

Beijing must be thinking it’s Christmas all over again. If they believed in Xmas. Which they won’t.

I would put more credence in the latter. There are massive, and very sophisticated operations, with huge buildings full of people, in Russia (and China, Iran and a dozen other places) logged into social media 24x7 peddling fake news in the form of conspiracy theories. Their purpose is to polarize the American population, foment hate and destabilise western democracy. On recent evidence, I'd say they are doing a pretty good job.

We are sleepwalking into an apocalypse.
Trudat

Beijing must be thinking it’s Christmas all over again. If they believed in Xmas. Which they won’t.

We finally have something they won't try to copy.

We finally have something they won't try to copy.
Well, it's actually something that the USA exported to Hong some time ago - but the activists in Hong Kong throwing molotov cocktails and invading government offices were called plucky democratic freedom fighters, not domestic terrorists.

"Isn't it ironic"

Interesting facts and views shared here. I love that we can all discuss, diverge, agree, disagree...
Also interesting that all of us, (here and elsewhere), use sources as per our view. For example, there have been
big fans of the BBC and other UK channels, (and to less extent US channels, obvs as we are predominantly in UK),
Non committal watchers of the BBC and
Huge anti, "defund the BBC'.
I find it interesting that the last group tend to quote reliable internet sources, yet disregard unreliable BBC reporters, who put their names and faces to everything and are obliged to at least follow journalistic scrutiny.
I genuinely don't think UK tv channels are politically affiliated, but it may seem so when they are scrutinising the govt of the day. We just happen to have a long time with a Conservative govt. I seem to remember the Left complaining of the right wing BBC during the Blair govt days.
Seems to indicate they are annoying everyone, depending on their views - probably getting the balance ?
Nation states are not the only ones to recognise the value of social media enabled psy-ops. Murdoch is just one who would benefit from spreading anti-BBC propaganda.
In all this, you just have to ask "who stands to benefit if USA/EU/yournamehere is divided/weakened?"
It's as simple an idea as 'follow the money'....

There has been investigation of the complaints, including recounts. The Trump side have brought forward no evidence and non has been found, beyond marginal error. Trump himself was recorded on the phone trying to get someone to fix the vote. There have been investigations all over the place involving law processes and thousands of man hours.
I agree, but please take a moment to distinguish non/none/nun ;)

President Trump for another 4 years . Lets wait and see on the 20th if there even is an inauguration !! Somehow i don’t think there will be ! But that’s just my view.
Why do you say that?

Well, it's actually something that the USA exported to Hong some time ago - but the activists in Hong Kong throwing molotov cocktails and invading government offices were called plucky democratic freedom fighters, not domestic terrorists.

"Isn't it ironic"
OK I actually took part in some of the protests in HK. I’ve still got the remnants of a tear gas grenade and some rubber bullets as a memento.

There is a big difference. HK was about preserving democracy against an increasing influence from Beijing who want to eradicate it, so they can have “one China”.

The US was about trying to overturn democracy because it didn’t give the result the protestors wanted.

Note that China has already arrested the protestors and will imprison them (in a judicial system that simply provides the result the government want) for life. Those in the US will get tried for their crimes but do so in a court that could find them innocent because even under the circumstances the rule of law will prevail.

Any suggestion that Hong Kong and Washington are similar are not grounded in factual reality.

What do you think the chance is of having a dozen or 6 mentally ill individuals in a large protest group?
In America the chances of the whole group being mentally ill are amazingly high!

In America the chances of the whole group being mentally ill are amazingly high!

Despite the constant opinion that any white perpetuators of mass gun slaughter are mentally ill, the facts suggest that they’re actually less likely to have a mental disorder than the average population.

In most protest groups, I'd say that's not true. This particular protest group appears to be ....well, pretty easy to sell on something that's not very likely. Let's put it that way to be polite.

And ....somewhere in that group is a dude who went because his new girlfriend wanted to go and he was hoping to earn brownie points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back