Interview with the Local Authority

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just after a little bit of advice as to what to expect from my upcoming interview with the local authority. I have got an interview for a Building Control Technician and it seems like I am going to have to do some literacy and numeracy tests during the interview, I am not really worried about these, but is this common practice now with all local authorities?

Are there any buzzwords at the moment that I should try and include in the interview?

From the person spec, I understand that I am going to need to be able to show competencies with regards to the building regs, the building act and all other relevant legislation; I will also have to state how my degree and work experience will be relevant for the position, as well as all of the other regular interview questions.

Do any of you guys work as Building Control Surveyors?

The only reason I am asking these questions is that I really want to do well in this interview because this job is something that I can see myself really enjoying!

Any help would be great!

Thanks

If your degree subject isn't relevant just say it taught you how to structure complex arguments and make rational conclusions to difficult problems having interpreted complex data. That, basically is a reasonable response to almost all problems people come across in adult life and entirely plausible. If the degree is in a relevant discipline then obviously discuss the content that is relevant to the position.

It sounds to me like the most important knowledge area is going to be modern building regs and how they apply to the role of the inspector.

If it were me I would bone up on the following:

- the point of having a building inspector ie what problems will their intervention solve
- what are the typical stages at which they inspect and what are the broad categories they're looking to assess quality against
- what experience do you have that matches the above points
- read very thoroughly any modern regulations available through local planning departments
- read the building act
- if possible go and talk to a friendly one and pick his brains about what he considers the most important aspects of the role.
- consider how you might fit into a team environment and how you might deal with an unruly builder if something goes wrong on site ie be prepared for the curve ball type questions. And of course, best of luck.

I have no advice, having worked for myself for 30 years. I will, however, wish you good luck.
You made a champions board for my tennis club 3 or 4 years ago for less than I could buy the oak for. It still looks perfect. The only thing wrong with it is that my name isn't on it.

John

My friend did a BTEC. Before the start he was asked to take a basic literacy test. I don't suppose 10 "O" levels count? he asked. No. Sorry, was the reply. What about 4 "A"s at "A" level then? No. Sorry, was the reply. What about a degree in medicine? No. Sorry - you've still got to do the test. It's box ticking on a huge scale.

From digging a bit further, it seems like it is common practice really. Not to worry though, I don't think my literacy or numeracy are that bad haha!

its also catching out the folks who lie and cheat about their education. Whats more, when I ran a software company, we had a graduate training programme and for 5 years I watched Britain's best and brightest turn up late for work having been at a rave until 6am the previous night, spend half the day chatting up the admin staff and lose a few customers by being arrogant .'s. Some of them couldn't string a sentence together without multiple spell checks. So if it were my money, I'd want to corroborate what I think their qualifications are meant to tell me.

If you think you may have a numeracy test, it might be worth brushing up on BODMAS -it's the basic stuff that catches people out.

So you might be working towards being a building inspector? -for those of us working in the bulding trade thats like working for the other side :D

RobinBHM":jy0uh2ms said:
If you think you may have a numeracy test, it might be worth brushing up on BODMAS -it's the basic stuff that catches people out.

So you might be working towards being a building inspector? -for those of us working in the bulding trade thats like working for the other side :D

Haha I suppose you could look at it like that!

Only joking of course!

Building inspectors are often very helpful and have a wealth of advise. I mostly deal with independent approved inspectors (many of which seem to be ex local authority).

In all public service jobs, the HRA governs everything we do, so it may be worth casting your eye over that, I would think Right to Private/family Life may apply to your job. Also, knowing a bit about the 9 strands of diversity isn't a bad idea either, although I'm not saying I have any evidence as to how these two topics would impact on your particular job, they underpin everything in the public sector now. Also, looking at overcoming obstacles or resistance (blockers) to change is talked about a lot as well, as all public sector organisations have to do more with less, so are looking at new ways of working which are often resisted. This is particularly true if you have any kind of supervisory role.

Good luck Adam.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Noggsy - could you please explain what the HRA is? I have never come across this before, so it would be nice to have a little bit of an understanding. I agree with what you say about overcoming change, I had an interview with another government body a few weeks back and that was pretty much focused around enabling change within the public sector.

Noggsy":2syq6x4x said:
In all public service jobs, the HRA governs everything we do, so it may be worth casting your eye over that, I would think Right to Private/family Life may apply to your job. Also, knowing a bit about the 9 strands of diversity isn't a bad idea either, although I'm not saying I have any evidence as to how these two topics would impact on your particular job, they underpin everything in the public sector now. Also, looking at overcoming obstacles or resistance (blockers) to change is talked about a lot as well, as all public sector organisations have to do more with less, so are looking at new ways of working which are often resisted. This is particularly true if you have any kind of supervisory role.

Good luck Adam.

I had to look up 9 strands of diversity.... not something I've heard of before, am I the only one!

I do know public sector and other large organisations now have somebody in charge of 'equality and diversity'.

I've interviewed lots of people and they should be working to a table of questions applicable to the job being filled. That way they can score fairly each candidate.
The main thing is to go on what it says in the job advert. If they are not looking for experienced people then they really won't be asking any technical questions.

It would be certainly advisable to research into what a Building Control inspector does and the set up of the local Council.
They will probably ask why you want the job, what special qualities you have and why you think you should be considered?

Rod

"how do you influence people?" is a common question/theme that i have been asked, although not public sector.

Sorry Adam, I did reply to your question, but it seems to have disappeared. Yes, the Human Rights Act, which is the bit of British legislation which enshrines the European Convention on Human Rights into our law. All public authority (and anyone acting on their behalf) must act in accordance with it, so not a bad idea to have at least an idea about it I would think. The influencing people question is a good one to consider as well.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. The job is for a building control technician, which is basically an assistant/junior building control surveyor.

The job description indicates that they aren't looking for anyone with a huge wealth of knowledge on the regs, but have the willingness and ability to learn, which is a big plus point for me.

With regards to looking at the structure of the local authority, do you have any tips on how to find out this info? I have looked on their website and read up about the different departments etc, but some more detailed info would look good from my end.

Thanks again everyone!

You're welcome. Perhaps ring their HR and ask for it. It can't hurt and at worst, lets them know you're taking it seriously.

Adam I don't think they will be looking at a very detailed level of knowledge re the Council.
It will be your enthusiasm for the job, willingness to learn and go on training course, your personality and how you come across at the interview which you will be judged on?
Your appearance will help too, so dress reasonably smartly.

Rod

Harbo":398yyi3z said:
Adam I don't think they will be looking at a very detailed level of knowledge re the Council.
It will be your enthusiasm for the job, willingness to learn and go on training course, your personality and how you come across at the interview which you will be judged on?
Your appearance will help too, so dress reasonably smartly.

Rod

Thanks Harbo! I appreciate your input. This is a job that I would really like to do, so I will try to be as enthusiastic about the opportunity as possible (without going overboard).

Back