Information on Portative Organ (early music) construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StraightOffTheArk

Established Member
Reaction score
At some point in the next year or so I'm planning on making a portative organ, partly because I like them, partly to enable a more experimental build later on. I've located a source for plans portorg, but I'm looking for any books/articles etc about the history and development of the instrument in the meantime so that I can form my own ideas about the design.

Any help gratefully received.

Carl

I was a very early member of "The Fellowship of Makers and Researchers of Historic Instruments: FoMRHI".
https://www.fomrhi.org/
This group published a quarterly collection of 'communications' written by the members, often containing the results of very detailed examination of old instruments and construction techniques, even looking at whether twisted gut bass strings might be a left, or right, hand twist for example. If you have some time, you may need it, then it is likely that you will find something of interest, possibly in greater detail than needed.
If you are interested in a Kit, then The Early Music Shop has them.
http://www.earlymusicshop.com/Browse.as ... ment704/1/
Lots of money and perhaps not quite so much fun.

HTH xy

xy, thanks for that link - absolutely wonderful - I shall investigate.
I have looked at kits, and yes, much more money than I am prepared to throw at it, and where's the fun in assembling something that you know is going to work?!

Thanks again - I am now feeling much more positive (pun intended) about the project,

Carl

Carl, I lost myself in the FoMRHI site. It took me back a long time, in a delightful way. I agree entirely about kits, didn't someone once say it's the journey that gives most pleasure? I hope you find something of interest, and use. Have fun!

xy

Latest posts

Back