Infill smoother restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr_P":gkm1mfkl said:
Very nice job and thanks for sharing.

I'm with you: If it's comfy and works, why fix it ?

Toby,
Eye of the beholder and we don't all have Jim's experience/skill.

Have to start some where tho,
If your happy with it then that's all that matters at the end of the day. Tho I hope you change your mind and go ahead with the job and share your progress to the delight of the viewers.

TT

I like it. You've removed the rust and got it clean so you don't have to wash your hands after touching it. You've got the iron cutting and the cap iron helping.

The wood looks well broken-in, like a favourite pair of shoes. Only you can say how comfortable it is to use, but it looks to have plenty of life left in it.

What's next?!

One hates to go against the consensus, but while the work so far is very good. IMHO the tote is still broken, and needs restoration.

I would put on and blend a patch piece.

My goal with any old tool is for it to look as if it's always been owned and cared for by a knowledgeable craftsman. A plane with an evidently broken tote would not fulfil my goal.

Other goals are available. :D

BugBear

tobytools":33hy0izg said:
Have to start some where

Agreed but why not dip your toe in first with a saw handle or two before jumping into the deep end.

Mr_P":2rp3oqbh said:
tobytools":2rp3oqbh said:
Have to start some where

Agreed but why not dip your toe in first with a saw handle or two before jumping into the deep end.

You could argue that point for ever and never get around to the tote, point in the first place. (Hammer)

And a saw isn't in need of one ;)
Yet...

Anything can be achieved if you take your time and apply yourself.
:lol:

Anyways I digress
. Excellent job

TT

Hmmm.. All food for thought. I understand the point of view that it's still broken so restoration isn't complete, but it's all about circumstances really.IfI was at a loose end project wise I'd be happy to have a go at replacing it.As it happensI'm in the middle of replacing the bathroom suite. Plumbing/ tiling done, next job is to make an oak vanity unit. So this just needed to be a quick inbetween job.
If I spent the time replacing the infills, it would still have a bent lever cap screw.
Anyway, it's interesting how different people would approach it in different ways.
James

I'd say well done to get a working plane from what looked very near to being a scrapper to start off. True, it isn't cosmetically the greatest, but tools are for using, not always for showing off.

Whatever cosmetic upgrades you may decide upon in due time are entirely your choice. I think I'd prefer a good worker that looked a bit rough to a beautiful plane that doesn't do the job too well. (Of course, beautiful AND effective is even better, but it's a bonus, not an essential.)

Back