Industrial unit for woodworking - ideal size?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbrains":l9yceq6c said:
Hello,

Just bear in mind, commercial property measurements are the space the unit occupies ( external dimensions) not the size of the floor area you see. 300 sq ft is a start, but I think you will outgrow it very quickly, so be prepared to move again soon! Of course if you just want to make chairs, or fine boxes, it might suit for the rest of your days. I had 506 sq ft (count 'em) and had my tablesaw in such a way that I could open the roller shutter to allow long boards to be cut and save a bit of space. It did get tight and I think 750 sq ft. would be an ideal minimum. For one man, heating the space, getting enough work to pay rent, pricing these overheads into the job undertaken etc. that size is an economical sweet spot. More space is desirable and if you are always busy, perhaps affordable. But as soon as work becomes light, it can become a real drain on funds. I would work out how much you need to turn over per day to pay your income, rent, bills, materials, etc. etc. and then decide how much work you can realistically achieve in that day. That is how much you have to charge the client for the thing you make. If the space you rent puts your daily rate higher than the customer will pay for the job , your workshop is too big! Rent is the overhead most easily changed to bring you into an economical viable situation, since the materials, your income, workshop running costs are fairly fixed.

Mike.

Cheers Mike. I don't have to make it pay fully from day one, so I'm lucky in that regard. But I do want it to be sensible, so your advice is well heeded.

I spent a year in a unit 20' x30' it was just big enough but I had to be organised. Now in one 30' x 30' and it's much better, feels about right for a one man shop.

Doug

Back