India’s successful Moon Landing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we controlled our borders we wouldn't have a backlog of 175,000 people waiting to be processed.
We have chosen to progress them slowly. It's all part of the "make Britain a hostile environment for immigrants policy". 70% of them are accepted eventually
And reprocessed and reprocessed until they get permission to stay. They wouldn't be here in the first place.
You have some very weird ideas.

We have chosen to progress them slowly. It's all part of the "make Britain a hostile environment for immigrants policy". 70% of them are accepted eventually

You have some very weird ideas.
You know as well as I that very, very few of these people will ever be sent anywhere else, even the ones denied the right to stay.

You know as well as I that very, very few of these people will ever be sent anywhere else, even the ones denied the right to stay.
Pleased to hear it. Good luck to them, they are welcome.

It's all part of the "make Britain a hostile environment for immigrants policy"
I think it is a case of if you are taking immigrants then you want to have immigrants that can serve a useful purpose, ie doctors and skilled profesionals and not lead weights. This requires that we have control of the system and the will power to chuck out the unwanted like Australia otherwise we just sink under the financial pressure and extra strain on already overstretched services. The way to handle this situation is not for us to provide free housing and expenses but give them a job at minium wage for three months and by then they would be begging to leave because they would realise that it is not what you earn that counts but the cost of living itself and that the UK is not what they have been told.

I see Jacob's Political Compass score is in.

1693233162076.png

The way to handle this situation is not for us to provide free housing and expenses but give them a job at minium wage for three months and by then they would be begging to leave because they would realise that it is not what you earn that counts but the cost of living itself and that the UK is not what they have been told.
Compared to where they may have originated, minimum wage, adequate calories, clean water and sewage, basic health care, a roof over their head, relative personal security etc, is fulfilment of a utopian dream.

Far from persuading them they had made a mistake, the effect would be the complete reverse.

This is not a problem - the solution (a) make an initial assessment of an asylum claim rapidly, and (b) if a claim is likely to be successful, get them contributing to what is likely to become their long term home anyway.

..... (a) make an initial assessment of an asylum claim rapidly, and (b) if a claim is likely to be successful, get them contributing to what is likely to become their long term home anyway.
.....which is all they want anyway, but, c. there should also be safe routes.
You hardliners all seem to forget that these are normal people, they've had a rough time, they got here with great difficulty risking life and limb, and all they want is the chance to live a normal life.
It's all very well selecting the "professionals" but there is essential work available for people at all levels of skill and ability.
This is not the primary issue anyway, which is about dealing humanely with the developing global crisis of climate change and political instability.
There are some very miserable and deeply unwoke opinions expressed here, some people really need to try to wake up.
Migration looks to be ever increasing in the coming years. This is only the beginning.

It was no different then, much as you'd like to believe it was.
It's changed enormously and we no longer benefit from EU reciprocal arrangements.
https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac....he-uk-and-the-post-brexit-immigration-system/
"Migrants newly arriving in the UK from January 2021 need to have permission, such as a work, family or study visa. They face broadly the same rules regardless of their country of origin. In practice, this means that the rules have become considerably more restrictive for EU citizens who previously had free movement rights. However, the rules have become somewhat less restrictive for non-EU citizens, at least those moving for work. Until the end of 2020, non-EU citizens coming to work in the UK on an ordinary work visa would usually need a salary of at least £30,000 in a graduate job; the new rules allow a wider range of middle-skilled occupations to qualify, with the minimum salary required set at £25,600 as standard and lower still in some cases."

Hey Phil it's about time you stopped kidding yourself about Brexit - it's a total f.....g fiasco and everybody knows it. No point in pretending otherwise it just makes you look like an very silly person. 🤣

Last edited:
It vexes me that we have come to the level of calling these boat people "immigrants" rather than what they are i.e. "illegal immigrants"

It vexes me that we have come to the level of calling these boat people "immigrants" rather than what they are i.e. "illegal immigrants"
No they are not.
It might please racists and xenophobes to think that they are, but they are not.
I guess they like the adrenaline buzz from being continually annoyed. They ought to try to wake up and get a life!
https://migrantsrights.org.uk/projects/wordsmatter/illegal-immigration/PS and why are you "vexed" to start with? Do these immigrants impact on you personally in some way?
All the ones I've met so far have been perfectly OK normal people.

Last edited:
What do you think would happen if a UK citizen rolled up on a french beach and claimed asylum. If you dismiss the term illegal migrants then they all become legal migrants and that becomes open borders. What happens to the UK if you just open the door to many millions of migrants, you do not know where they are from or who they are and with no idea of their motives but a proportion will have criminal intent and there will be cultural differences that to us are unacceptable so a good system like many other countries have is what is needed.

What do you think would happen if a UK citizen rolled up on a french beach and claimed asylum.
What would be illegal about that? You'd be allowed in under current rules and expected to apply for asylum if that's what you wanted. I've rolled up on French beaches often - we used to do a bit of sailing. You don't even have to show a Q flag unless you have something to declare. Never applied for asylum though. :unsure:
If you dismiss the term illegal migrants then they all become legal migrants and that becomes open borders.
No, they just become new migrants - applying for asylum, work permits, procedures ..etc .. etc. Nothing illegal about that.
What happens to the UK if you just open the door to many millions of migrants,
about 45,700, year on year, recently, but highly variable. The door is opened if you knock on it - you just have to get across the channel .
you do not know where they are from or who they are and with no idea of their motives
That's why they have to go through an immigration procedure.
but a proportion will have criminal intent
Yebbut not guilty without evidence. Lots of UK criminals emigrated to Spain in recent years but they too not guilty until proven, like it or not.
and there will be cultural differences that to us are unacceptable
Yep. And ditto for brits who venture abroad. You have to assume they are wishing to assimilate, within reason, and they do, sometimes quickly, sometimes not.
so a good system like many other countries have is what is needed.
Most of Europe do it better than UK and take in far more.
Tories make it difficult in Britain because they are trying to pick up the unwoke racist vote. Labour is doing it too. Britain is in a sad condition.

Last edited:
I voted for Brexit, and on reflection, that was an error. It has been a complete and unmitigated disaster. Now, I still believe that it could and should have worked, but had not anticipated the complete incompetence of how its been handled. However, overall, I have to agree that we would have been better staying within the EU. It’s too divisive for any government to open that can of worms again, so it’s unlikely in the near term for us to rejoin, no doubt at far less beneficial status than we enjoyed. We are where we are, in a hole of our own making.

Migration is also very decisive, and is changing politics across Europe. The central / left wing governments are under increasing pressure from the right wing. We have seen Italy vote in a right wing government and Macron in France is warning about the very real ‘threat’ of the right wing winning the next election with LePenn becoming the next President.

Regardless of views, gaining access to the UK by crossing the channel without proper clearance is illegal. Those arriving in boats are illegal migrants. Now, they might qualify for asylum, but most are in reality actually economic migrants and have no right to citizenship within the UK. The problem is that with us being a signature to various systems it is hampering dealing with the situation in a timely manner. The cost, time and paperwork involved in dealing with each application is huge, and once they have been rejected getting them back is also troublesome. There are no easy answers, but, in the absence of effective boarder controls the UK populous is going to become increasing frustrated with what it sees an inept government, regardless of whether it is right left or centre. When the population becomes dissatisfied with its government representation and cannot see a solution, extremism breads and an often a strong character usual arises with very dire consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back