I'm a cyclist.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My belief is that if we made insurance and an MOT compulsory for bikes, the only cyclists who'd comply would be the Lycra crowd, and possibly a few city commuters. The mudguard and basket folk would give up cycling completely, and the "scruffs" would carry on regardless. As for "road tax", since VED is loosely based on emissions, then maybe car owners who cycle, should receive a rebate for every mile cycled. I don't know how that would work, but then I don't really know how the insurance and MOT for bikes would work either. The police can't cope as it is.
Can't argue with most of that, the police don't crack down on those as it is but difficulties in policing shouldn't automatically stop possible solutions being considered.
Southdownswolf posting about British Cycling Membership is one possibility maybe that's the way though I don't know the cost of membership, compulsory membership also gives liability insurance. Cycle retailers maybe have to sign you up on any new bike sold is a start perhaps with a cheap once a year safety check plan.
I'm not sure the "mudguard and basket" users would give up though as the ones I know would be unlikely to object. ( Just remembered my bike has mudguards, no basket though :ROFLMAO:)
I'm not sayin g any of that is what should be done but there are always ways, clearly anything that costs a few quid to those who currently pay nothing is going to be vehemently opposed by the majority. ;)

I doubt licensing cyclists would be practical or effective. I remember dog licenses at I think five bob a year, these were stopped because they were a complete waste of time ,though dogs still kill a few per year.

What about electric bikes, no longer a true pedal cycle but more an under powered moped so how will this change things, it is now a motorised vehicle so crash helmets should be mandatory and full lighting but also insurance, if for no reason other than to provide legal cover in the event of an incident.

I doubt licensing cyclists would be practical or effective. I remember dog licenses at I think five bob a year, these were stopped because they were a complete waste of time ,though dogs still kill a few per year.

I don't think that's a good comparison however as immediately after dropping the licence there were consultations and then amendments to the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 to address the issues with dogs and then 6 years ago it became compulsory to hjave dogs microchipped which is an effective for of registration.

What about electric bikes, no longer a true pedal cycle but more an under powered moped so how will this change things, it is now a motorised vehicle so crash helmets should be mandatory and full lighting but also insurance, if for no reason other than to provide legal cover in the event of an incident.
Scooters as well. Interesting that if you use a mobility scooter capable of 8 miles an hour it has to be registered and licenced even though the cost is nil. A bike can go a hell of a lot faster than 8 mph.

Had not thought about all those old peoples chariots that as you say can do 8 mph but are also allowed to use pedestrian rights of way and go round shops so even more risk of accidents.

Scooters as well. Interesting that if you use a mobility scooter capable of 8 miles an hour it has to be registered and licenced even though the cost is nil. A bike can go a hell of a lot faster than 8 mph.
But only with power as an assist. If there is a throttle then it is illegal, as are motorised scooters beyond those on trial, which do have number plates and insurance.

They are electric assist bikes, they still need to be pedalled. Legally, they are classed as pedal cycles.

Electric bikes which are controlled by a throttle and which don't need to be pedalled are motor vehicles and are subject to to the same regulations as a motorbike.

Had not thought about all those old peoples chariots that as you say can do 8 mph but are also allowed to use pedestrian rights of way and go round shops so even more risk of accidents.
They are legally only allowed to go at maximum 4 mph on footpaths etc. Spectric but up to 8 mph on roads and all those are equipped with a flick switch to select max speed. I've no doubt at all that it's abused however.
The other type is classed as a pavement scooter and have a max speed of 4 mph, they usually are smaller in size and small wheels. This type do not need to be registered or licenced.

There is legislation on the way to introduce new penalties for cyclists who cause accidents. It’s a result of campaigning by the husband of a woman killed crossing the road who was hit by a cyclist on a road racing bike which had no brakes a few years ago.

https://road.cc/content/news/shapps-calls-death-dangerous-cycling-law-289835?amp

great news, punishing all of us because of one accident, that's the tory way, collective punishment at it's finest, I think cyclists should get a vote on whether we let people bring in new laws, give cyclists themselves the voice instead of drivers telling cyclists what they want from them, especially in a democracy, which we supposedly live in, all I see is a right wing tory government who are getting worse and worse and more power hungry, they are deliberately pushing the boundaries as much as possible lately on removing human rights, workers rights, unions, the right to protest, freedom of speech, disabled peoples rights, animal rights and lots more.

great news, punishing all of us because of one accident, that's the tory way, collective punishment at it's finest, I think cyclists should get a vote on whether we let people bring in new laws, give cyclists themselves the voice instead of drivers telling cyclists what they want from them, especially in a democracy, which we supposedly live in, all I see is a right wing tory government who are getting worse and worse and more power hungry, they are deliberately pushing the boundaries as much as possible lately on removing human rights, workers rights, unions, the right to protest, freedom of speech, disabled peoples rights, animal rights and lots more.
They do this all the time, pass a new law, to appear to be doing something.
I'm sure there must already be a law on the books against riding someone down by bicycle and killing them.

I'm sure there must already be a law on the books against riding someone down by bicycle and killing them.
I just did a quick search and found that a cyclist , Charlie Alison received an 18 month custodial for killing a pedestrian.

yes but how rare is it? it disgusts me as a cyclist because I am so careful, you DO get pedestrians walking into you on roads as a cyclist, that happens regularly, but nobody punishes them do they, would it be my fault or theirs if they deliberately walk into a road? do they do it on purpose? I think some people do, and you'd be surprised how often it happens.

yes but how rare is it? it disgusts me as a cyclist because I am so careful, you DO get pedestrians walking into you on roads as a cyclist, that happens regularly, but nobody punishes them do they, would it be my fault or theirs if they deliberately walk into a road? do they do it on purpose? I think some people do, and you'd be surprised how often it happens.
I know pedestrians do it with cars.
It's happened to me, they look at you and step into the road, almost daring you/me to hit them, so I have no doubt they do it moreso with cyclists since the risk is lower.

The reason I posted about Charlie Alison was to show there are already laws, so a new one isn't needed, it's just feel good politics

.....A young cyclist,riding a bike that was too big for her whilst struggling to get off/stop the bike ran down the side of my car her brake lever damaging four panels on my car for which I had to claim on my insurance to get repaired..
That's the whole point of insurance, what are you complaining about exactly?
At the time, we didn't know what to do - we could have followed her home and suffered a string of abuse from her parents but my point is that I,as the car driver,had no means of claiming which is totally unfair to the motorist.
Not true - you had insurance and claimed. You could have pursued the poor girl home and sued to recover your lost no claims discount (if anything). I don' think a magistrate would be too sympathetic!

But only with power as an assist. If there is a throttle then it is illegal, as are motorized scooters beyond those on trial, which do have number plates and insurance.
They're not actually illegal Paul. You can have a throttle on an ebike(pedal assist) but its limit should be 4mph. Probably in line with grannie carriers.

Speed pedalecs(capable of speeds in excess of 15.5mph, I remember hearing somewhere that they might be classed as mopeds and you have to follow the law for mopeds with a lid and having at least a provisional licence and be registered with the dvla

Also throttle ebikes made before the legislation came in are still exempt. But i think its just that theres not enough of a take up yet with ebikes and eventually the rules willl catch up. Currently its a bit like pre seatbelt classic cars.

That's the whole point of insurance, what are you complaining about exactly?Not true - you had insurance and claimed. You could have pursued the poor girl home and sued to recover your lost no claims discount (if anything). I don' think a magistrate would be too sympathetic!

I think he's complaining because he did nothing wrong, yet he ended up having to organise repair of 4 panels, doing an insurance claim, paying the excess and seeing his insurance going up for the next few years. If you think it's nothing why don't you sent about £800 to him if you won't miss it.
What magistrates have to do with it I'm not sure!!
Just another ___________ comment from you in my opinion

Last edited:
I think he's complaining because he did nothing wrong, yet he ended up having to organise repair of 4 panels, doing an insurance claim, paying the excess and seeing his insurance going up for the next few years. If you think it's nothing why don't you sent about £800 to him if you won't miss it.
What magistrates have to do with it I'm not sure!!
Just another comment from you in my opinion
Shouldn't park his car near where kids are playing on bikes.
These threads seem to be largely about divine rights for angry motorists!
So if kids bikes should be insured for use in public spaces, what about other toys? You could do some nice scratches with a dolls pram if you put your mind to it. :unsure: What about collisions between toy cars and kiddie's trikes?

Last edited:
A free bike number plate registration scheme would be very simple.
Then cameras could catch violations so easy to police.
Red light jumpers, pavements etc

They're not actually illegal Paul. You can have a throttle on an ebike(pedal assist) but its limit should be 4mph. Probably in line with grannie carriers.

Speed pedalecs(capable of speeds in excess of 15.5mph, I remember hearing somewhere that they might be classed as mopeds and you have to follow the law for mopeds with a lid and having at least a provisional licence and be registered with the dvla

Also throttle ebikes made before the legislation came in are still exempt. But i think its just that theres not enough of a take up yet with ebikes and eventually the rules willl catch up. Currently its a bit like pre seatbelt classic cars.
Quite right on the subtlties but the reality is that the bulk of ebikes available as imports are not legal in the UK.

Back